Stairway to Database Containers Level 4: Using a Docker Compose File

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Stairway to Database Containers Level 4: Using a Docker Compose File

• Very nice article on Docker, I've been playing around with that for the last few months as well. But I notice you don't describe how to specify the mapping of the volumes to local disks, and that is something that is not well-described in the documentation either.

I'm currently just using the local folders, as mapping to random paths creates lots of time-consuming issues, unless you put everything right under root (pathnames too long, pathnames not mappable to Linux, characters not recognized etc. etc.).

I'd be very interested in seeing a description of how global volumes work that makes sense.

• I actually have something I've been working on to simplify how I setup and connect to containers. I've got an article coming here soon, and I might add another level here just on organizing storage. I don't know that a global volume is that important, since the various instances don't necessarily need to communicate among them. It's more to ensure that I can easily access the various file systems for different instances, as I would for installed MSSQL (or PostgreSQL, etc.)

• I think I should rephrase this: it took me a full day to finally get my data on disk, on the specific location I wanted, linked to my application in a docker container on the specific folder I wanted in the container.

Docker does NOT like mixed environments, it really cannot deal with long pathnames, and spaces in pathnames are also a big no.  Combined with the vagueness of the instructions on this point (which are basically "just define a volume and point it to something" - frustratingly vague) it makes sense this is a hot topic on reddit and stackoverflow. Loads of people have issues with how this works (or doesn't work, mostly).

It is probably my understanding of how Docker works that is lacking, but that's also on the manuals. I spent a lot of time reading them and they're no help at all on this issue.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply