SSRS Stylesheets/Skins

• Why can't styles be applied to SSRS reports? You can apply CSS files to html, shins to ASP.NET, and xsl to xml, so why can't styles be applied to Reporting Services Reports? Or, can styles be applied and I just haven't heard of it? Can styles be applied to an rdl similar to the way xsl applies to xml?

• I use both Asp.net and SSRS so I think both comes with different development tools so Asp.net is more flexible, however here are two articles that will help with how to implement styles in SSRS.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Reporting+Services/65853/

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Reporting+Services/65811/

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks for your help. I've read the articles and I am investigating whether or not utilizing workaround custom assembly driven "style sheets" is the best solution but what I want to know is:

1) Can styles be implemented in SSRS 2008? whether it's using css when the page renders or using some kind of xls to style the rdl file.

2) If styles can't be used, what is the reason? Is it b/c rdl's can't be manipulated like regular xml?

• SSRS designer is full of bugs and not fluid so if you don't want to use custom assembly your options are limited and I think you need to know RDL should not be manipulated because it contains all your report definitions except the solution file. This is not like the XML flat files you transform but rather source file for each report much like a .NET assembly.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Could you expand a little on what makes rdl's impossible to apply styles to and the difference in rdl's and traditional xml? I'm still confused on what the differences actually are.

Thank you very much, I appreciate all your help.

• You need to read up on the restrictions for image in header and footer to get to know why styles and SSRS which is data display tool are not related. Its primary goal is to take business data and make it accessible based on business needs, to get styles you need to use host application like Asp.net, Sharepoint or one of the BI applications.

RDL is just XML in name it is actually a complete source file so it is not like your XML file which holds plain data.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• It's finally starting to make sense. Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply