SSRS in cluster

• Currently we have a 5-active-node Windows cluster with 13 virtual SQL Server 2012 instances on them.

Some of the virtual instances require SSRS  and at the moment, each node has the SSRS service installed for all 7 instances. Working in this way we suffer for various faults with things like encryption keys becoming invalid and report server configurations being lost, losing connection to databases - all in all it's  a pain in the rear to manage.

I've proposed a solution where we add another virtual server, not part of the cluster but on the same subnet (all are connected over fibre switch).
    On this server I would install all 7 SSRS services but no database engine. The various ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB  databases would live on their respective SQL instances.
    Each of the 7 SSRS Service URLS would run on ports like 8081,8082,8083 etc to keep them separate.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? 
    Am I correct in thinking I don't need another SQL Server 2012 license because no database engine?
    Should I actually move the ReportServer databases onto this machine rather than leave them where they are?

DBA (Dogsbody with Bad Attitude)

• separating your ssrs instances is the best way to go

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• About what I thought.  gets rid of all the pain when instances fail over.

Image already added

• Barry G Freeman - Friday, September 29, 2017 5:39 AM

About what I thought.  gets rid of all the pain when instances fail over.

Image already added

does increase your licencing costs though

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Well, I'm thinking I'll leave the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB on their respective instances and just have the SSRS service and web sites on this new one.

I'm not sure I actually need a new SQL Server license if I do that since there's no DB server.

Image already added

Well

• Barry G Freeman - Friday, September 29, 2017 6:27 AM

Well, I'm thinking I'll leave the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB on their respective instances and just have the SSRS service and web sites on this new one.

I'm not sure I actually need a new SQL Server license if I do that since there's no DB server.

Image already added

Well

You do need a new license as your installing a component of SQL Server.

All instances of the DB Engine, SSIS, SSAS and SSRS are license-able so if you install just SSRS on a machine you still need to license it accordingly.

• But I already have a license for the original instance including SSRS, so does it matter where the SSRS for that instance lives?

Image already added

anthony.green - Friday, September 29, 2017 6:36 AM

Barry G Freeman - Friday, September 29, 2017 6:27 AM

Well, I'm thinking I'll leave the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB on their respective instances and just have the SSRS service and web sites on this new one.

Image already added

Well

All instances of the DB Engine, SSIS, SSAS and SSRS are license-able so if you install just SSRS on a machine you still need to license it accordingly.

• Barry G Freeman - Friday, September 29, 2017 6:45 AM

But I already have a license for the original instance including SSRS, so does it matter where the SSRS for that instance lives?

Image already added

Image already added

Well

Yes as you license by the core, so if you have licensed one machine or DB and SSRS on one machine your covered for that machine.  If you move SSRS to another machine it is no longer covered by the original license.

Caveat to that is if your running everything virtual and have licensed all the cores in your virtual setup for SQL Enterprise so you can do unlimited virtualization.

• Yes as you license by the core, so if you have licensed one machine or DB and SSRS on one machine your covered for that machine. If you move SSRS to another machine it is no longer covered by the original license.

Caveat to that is if your running everything virtual and have licensed all the cores in your virtual setup for SQL Enterprise so you can do unlimited virtualization.  

Ahh, I see. We we are completely virtual here. so I'll check with the license provider.

Image already added

anthony.green - Friday, September 29, 2017 6:48 AM

Barry G Freeman - Friday, September 29, 2017 6:45 AM

But I already have a license for the original instance including SSRS, so does it matter where the SSRS for that instance lives?

Image already added

Image already added

Well

Yes as you license by the core, so if you have licensed one machine or DB and SSRS on one machine your covered for that machine.  If you move SSRS to another machine it is no longer covered by the original license.

anthony.green - Friday, September 29, 2017 6:48 AM

Barry G Freeman - Friday, September 29, 2017 6:45 AM

Image already added

Image already added

Well

• Barry G Freeman - Friday, September 29, 2017 6:27 AM

Image already added

Well

ssrs is a licensed component, so yes, you will need to licence the ssrs server along with the Windows server OS licence too

• anthony.green - Friday, September 29, 2017 6:48 AM

have licensed all the cores in your virtual setup for SQL Enterprise so you can do unlimited virtualization.

To be clear, if you've licenced the cores at the host level not the guest level

• ssrs is a licensed component, so yes, you will need to licence the ssrs server along with the Windows server OS licence too       

OS is covered. by enterprise license.  If we need another SQL license I'll probably lift and shift all the SSRS databases off their instances and completely decouple them.

Image already added

Perry Whittle - Friday, September 29, 2017 8:09 AM

Image already added

Well

ssrs is a licensed component, so yes, you will need to licence the ssrs server along with the Windows server OS licence too

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply