ssrs and visual studio 2005

• :w00t:

We're finally staring to use SSRS where I work and I'm currently looking for information regarding deploy of reports and projects and data sources in projects to various servers, specifically, what are the options when deploying to a SSRS server that has existing reports and folders on it. Here is an example

I have a project with a group of reports, folders (folder f1, folder f2, ect.,) with a shared datasource (named data1) with the required credentials then deployed to the test server in project one.

If I create another project, say project two, and I want to use the same datasource data1, folders f1, f2, and f3, what can I do?

Datasource: Do I just create a datasource in the new project and name it data1 then put don't overwrite in the deployment. It sure would be nice if I could use the existing datasource that is on the test server, can I do that?

Folders: If I wanted to deploy to the same folders f1, f2, and f3, do I just create these folder in project two and expect that the deployment will know make the folders play right? It sure would be nice if I could use the existing folder structure on the test server from within visual studio, can I do this?

For example, say folder f1 was the accounting folder and its real name is acct. Would I have to know the spelling of the folder and then recreate it in project two, project three? What if I misspelled acct to accnt in project two, see what i'm writting about?

• If I create another project, say project two, and I want to use the same datasource data1, folders f1, f2, and f3, what can I do?

Datasource: Do I just create a datasource in the new project and name it data1 then put don't overwrite in the deployment. It sure would be nice if I could use the existing datasource that is on the test server, can I do that?

We used one shared datasource for many projects using Enterprise Library and store procedures, that is all data is in one database using only one DBO account to access so if you take a copy of that database to each server all you need are the VS2005 project files including solution file. Enterprise Library require C drive install. One more thing that account uses SQL authentication.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I think I'm understanding now, the one datasource (being shared by all the reports in the project) is depended by the one-shared project file, or better yet a solution file. I guess with the project file or the solution file in source control. All members on the team can share the one project/solution file and therefore share the one datasource.

• So what if someone who is not on the team, say on the HR team, and they don't have the project/solution file. Are they just out of luck with regards to the shared-datasource?

• TaffyLewis (3/10/2010)

So what if someone who is not on the team, say on the HR team, and they don't have the project/solution file. Are they just out of luck with regards to the shared-datasource?

It is not relevant because how you see the project is controlled with permissions in ReportManager because in one server we could not deploy the code because the security people gave us users permissions. If you have used the Microsoft samples that is how it was developed so thousands of developers who did not develop the code can run and deploy the code.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• do you mean the samples on codeplex?

• TaffyLewis (3/10/2010)

do you mean the samples on codeplex?

Sorry for the late reply yes those are the samples on code on codeplex, if you just double click the solution file you can run and deploy code Microsoft created. AdventureWorks and relevant cubes only needed.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply