SSRS and SSAS

• I'm trying to find information about the pros and cons of setting up SSAS and SSRS on the same server. I'm not finding much, so I thought I'd see if you fine folks have any advice about things to consider.

• There's not, necessarily, a "con" to running the services on different servers apart from costing. When running them on a separate servers, then that's 2 sets of licences (and hardware if physical boxes). That can very quickly increase the price. Considering you haven't mentioned the DB, I'm going to assume that your also planning to run that on a different instance. So if you think about it that way you're paying for 3 sets of licences (assuming standard edition):
    1 Server, 8 Core CPU with all Services = 8 * Licences = 4 * 2 Core packages = 4 * $3,717 = $14,868
    2 Servers, both 8 Core CPU, 1 DB Engine Server, 1 SSRS & SSAS Server = 2 * 8 * Licences = 2 * 4 * 2 Core Package = 8 * 2 Core packages = 8 * $3,717 = $29,736
    3 Servers, 1 8 Core CPU, 2 * 6 Core CPU (each service on separate Server) = 2 *(6 * Licences) + (8 * Licences) = 2 * (3 * 2 Core Packages) + (4 * 2 Core Packages) = 10 * 8 Core Packages = $37,170

When running all the services on a single instances, you need to consider that they're all going to (likely) compete to the same resources. RAM is the easiest to get around (for example I'm running 2012 Standard, but have 256GB of RAM. Standard edition can't access 256 GB of RAM so there's plenty left for other Services and the OS), or you can limit the usage. CPU will also be a contention, but with Enterprise you have much better control.

It all depends on the business, how much you're willing to spend, how busy your services are going to be, etc. Every workplace and environment is different, so there's no real "right" answer, but there are plenty of good answers. 😉

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply