SSMS version for SQL Server 2016

• We are in the process of upgrading our servers from SQL Server 2008R2 to 2016. What version of SSMS would be recommended to be installed on developers machines 17.2 or 16.5.3 and why? Is Microsoft going to keep updating 16.5.3 version with security/functionality fixes?

• SSMS 17.2 is the most recent version and is compatible with all currently supported versions of SQL server (2008 - 2017).

It's unlikely you're going to get any kind of updates for SSMS 2016 now, although I would guess security patches would still be released in the event a flaw is found (Microsoft may just state you should upgrade to SSMS 2017). SSMS became a separate tool from the installation media with SQL Server 2016. It has it's own update schedule, separate the SQL Server. While there there may be no "specific" boon to installing SSMS 2017, there is no reason to not install it. It will continue to receive updates and features, where as SSMS 2016 is unlikely to receive the same treatment (as it is not the current product, and has been superseded by SSMS 2017).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Just be aware that if you use SSIS, there's an issue with SSMS 17 not "seeing" it. I've had to install SSMS 16 on some servers to get round that.

• Beatrix Kiddo - Monday, October 9, 2017 9:49 AM

Just be aware that if you use SSIS, there's an issue with SSMS 17 not "seeing" it. I've had to install SSMS 16 on some servers to get round that.

Can't say I've had that problem, but then i don't use the File System Deployment method any more. I've had no problems with the SSIS Catalog.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Another issue with 17.2 is trying to apply Manage Compression through the menu system which won't be fixed until 17.3 (Link)
    To be fair it's quicker and just as easy to apply through T-SQL anyway so I would still recommend using 17.2 over all others.

• FortyEightK - Tuesday, October 10, 2017 2:15 AM

Another issue with 17.2 is trying to apply Manage Compression through the menu system which won't be fixed until 17.3 (Link)
    To be fair it's quicker and just as easy to apply through T-SQL anyway so I would still recommend using 17.2 over all others.

SSMS 17.3 came out today 😉 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Ooh, excellent.  Downloading now 🙂

• ...and I can confirm they've fixed the bug 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply