SSMS and sql2000

• Upgraded in-place 2000 to 2005 sql server but still have a 2000 server in another city that I need to connect to and would prefer not to use Enterprise Manager but switch completely to the new SSMS tool.  But, can't seem to get it to work - I keep getting an error that I can only use the tool for 2000/2005 sql servers (the other server is sql2000).  Looked under sql native client configuration in SSMS - tcpip is enabled.  Looked under aliases - ip and correct ports are listed for problem server.  If I go back to EM, delete the existing registration  and try a new registration to same server, the elipses in browsing the show the server name.  I can then type in the connection info and connection goes straight through.   One interesting thing, if I browse local or network servers under SSMS, the 2000 server I'm trying to connect to isn't listed.  So, if I put the information in manually using ip/port information, it won't connect.

Would really appreciate some help on this, Thanks,

Janet

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• does your 2k server have tcp/ip and named pipes libs loaded? No strange settings / aliases/ names or anything?

Is it using a std port? on same network?

You can't register by IP/port either? hmmm.. I have SSMS connecting to sql2k boxes no problems .. just type in the server name - works with both sql and ad connections. I admit the browse didn't work when I tried. I have to admit I usually resort to ip registration if I have any problems connecting. If you find QA on your new 2005 box , should still be there after an upgrade, can you connect with that?

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Colin,

Thanks so much for the reply.  I'm ashamed to admit I took the word of my contact at the 'remote' campus.  When I did an @@version, I discovered that they're still on 7 and I knew up front that SSMS wouldn't connect to 7.  Have to keep both sets of tools around for a while.

Thanks so much for replying.  I thought I had posted it so that folks wouldn't be bothered, but I guess I forgot.  Many thanks.

Janet

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply