SSIS Package Scheduling

• We are currently using SQL Server Agent to schedule and run all of our SSIS Packages. I'm curious if there is anyone out there using anything else?

Has anyone created their own package execution mechanism?

Has anyone purchased any 3rd party software to schedule and run the packages?

Or is everyone simply using some flavor of SQL Server Agent and SSIS packages calling other SSIS packages?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• The only built-in alternative is Windows Scheduler, which works, but has considerably less than SQL Agent.

What I run into at many of my customers is whats known as an "Enterprise Scheduler". These software products typically can schedule jobs on every registered corporate server at once, including many different OSs and versions.

They are highly favored by corporations (indeed, they are often mandated, disallowing our use of "local" schedulers like SQL Agent), because they allow the integration of all job scheduling, job monitoring, alerting, logging, support, etc., all from a single workstation. They also typically allow much more complex scheduling dependencies and sequencing than SQL Agent's "Sequential + JumpTo OnError" model and can run pretty much anything that can be run from a console command-line prompt.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply