SSIS package for Normalized tables

• I have a requirement, where i need to upload a report in SQL server 2005 table.

For example:

I am having a report for Order Details Query where fields are

OrderId, ProductName, ProductPrice, UnitPrice, Quantity, Discount.

Design:

[Order Details]

OrderId int identity(1,1)

ProductId int

UnitPrice numeric(10,2)

Quantity int

Discount numeric(10,2)

[Products]

ProductId int identity(1,1)

ProductName varchar(100)

Now Product Name will go to [Products] table.

OrderId, ProductPrice, UnitPrice, Quantity and Discount will go to [Order Details] table.

[Products] and [Order Details] are having a common field of ProductId

When we upload a report using SSIS package, it should work as described below.

Step1: Check if Product Exists in [Products] table.

Step 2: IF product exists, get the ProductId ELSE insert the ProductName and get the ProductID.

Step 3: Insert the OrderId, ProductPrice, UnitPrice, Quantity, Discount and ProductId from Step2 to [Order Details] table.

How the package should be designed. Please help me out!

Hiren Shah

:kiss:KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) :kiss:

• Please explain what you mean by 'report'?

From what you are describing, it just sounds like a straight INSERT.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• You could do it like this:

Source -> Lookup Component to check if product exists -> Yes then pass row through with the ProductID added to the flow -> Destination - Order Details.

A the product lookup component you can pass through error rows (no product found) to a product destination table to create the product -> to a product lookup to get the id -> to another Destination for order details.

You could also allow all the rows through the Product Lookup and then use a conditional split instead of the error data flow.

• A the product lookup component you can pass through error rows (no product found) to a product destination table to create the product -> to a product lookup to get the id -> to another Destination for order details.

As per the suggestion above, How can I achive the same.

From the Lookup Transformation , I get error rows. Now if take a SQL destination, then i cant have the output path to go again for a product lookup???

I am confused, please guide

Hiren Shah

:kiss:KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) :kiss:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply