SSIS Copy Column

• Hi,

I am newbie in ssis. i have a doubt in copy column. I had add a new column in copy column editor. Actually i tried to insert that column to an existing table but there was no provision to add that new column to the existing table. Could anyone tell me whether is this possible?

Its appreciated if anyone help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Pras

• Maybe you are getting confused.

The Copy Column transform creates an in-memory copy of a column in your data source, which you can use later on in your data flow.

It does not do any DDL. What are you trying to achieve?

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• Mr. Phil Parkin could you clear me. I cant understand your concept.

Thanks

Pras

• Sorry 😀

Please explain in more detail what you are trying to do - it is unclear from your original post - and I will attempt to describe how it might be achieved in SSIS.

Phil

- Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• Actually i had a table in database, i used this table in copy column editor to add a column in that table. But i couldn't do that. Are you clear now?

Pras

• So you are trying to add a copy of an existing column to an existing table?

This sounds like a one-off design task - why are you thinking of using SSIS to do this? Will you want to copy a certain column many times?

It's easy enough using T-SQL, if you really need to do it.

The Copy Column transformation does not create anything new at the database level. It merely adds a new column to the data pipeline which is running through memory. If you want to use or store that new data somehow/somewhere, you have to add additional processing to your package to do so.

- Martin Rees
    - Phil Parkin

• Thanks

• :-):-D

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply