SQLSERVER linked server

• I am trying to set up linked server in 2012 that accesses a 2008 SQLserver.

I can get a linked server to create, but the databases do not show. No error, just doesn't show database.

Please advise.

Shelley

• Hi,

Are you sysadmin on both the sql instance?

• Membership in SYSADMIN on the 2008 server is not necessarily required. Having the DBA on the 2008 server grant your remote login "VIEW ANY DATABASE" permission will allow you to list all the available databases. Depending on the intended purpose of your linked server account, the DBA can also grant additional server or database level permissions.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189077(v=sql.105).aspx

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I fixed this. When creating a linked server in 2012 to another SQLSERVER you need to click 'SQL Server' under Server Type on the General Tab

Shelley

• Shelley Allen (6/3/2015)

I fixed this. When creating a linked server in 2012 to another SQLSERVER you need to click 'SQL Server' under Server Type on the General Tab

Shelley

So when the provider was specified as SQL Server, it didn't give an error; it simply wouldn't list the available databases?

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Correct. No databases appeared until I choose 'SQL server' as 'Server Type'

NOTE: I have never had to do this until SQL2012

Shelley

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply