SQLServer Agent acting screwy

• Help!

In the last couple of days, when I click on the SQLServer Agent tab under Management in EM on SQL Server 2000, all I see is the Jobs tab, and that is empty. The Operators and Alerts tab vanish.

Before anyone suggests a permissions mis-match, let me say that I am Sysadmin for SQL server, and administrator on the box. What makes it really screwy - when I log off then log right back on, all is normal. After some as-yet-undertermined time, when I go into EM (not the first or any special time), SQLServer Agent is shy again - and logoff/logon to my windows account again fixes it. While this is happening, any scheduled jobs start normally and/or continue to run normally while this is going on.

This has happened to me 4-5 times, and I can't find out why.

Other than this quirk, the server, SQL Server, jobs and databases all continue to work fine with no errors anywhere.

Any ideas??? All suggestions are appreciated and will be tried.

Thanks,

Peter

• Does this only happen from your machine or does it happen from others or if you RDP to the box and use EM from there? Have you tried re-installing the client tools?

If it's not permissions it sounds like a fault and re-installation of client tools is fairly quick to do; probably quicker than finding what's wrong. 🙂

• It turns out that the problem is caused by the expiration of the Kererbos token on my Windows login account. Once that happens, access to SQL server Agent is severely limited. (BTW, this is on Win 2003 R2)

My main problem is that this happens on only one server?? It might be that this one has the latest patches, etc, which means the others may start to exhibit the same problems someday.

Does anyone have experience with Kererbos token expiration as it relates to SQL Server access? Any advice?

• The only obvious thing that I have seen in the past is if the time on the server differs greatly from the time on a domain controller.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply