SQLOLEDB could not map ordinals MSG 7351

• I have two servers that are linked to one another. Both are Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP3, SQL 2000 Enterprise Edition SP3.

I have been able to do distributed transactions between the systems over the last several months. However, Friday, the following select statement gave the following error:

"select * from sql2.db2.dbo.tbl2 where vnd_nbr = 1234"

"Server: Msg 7351, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' could not map ordinals for one or more columns of object 'DBSCHEMA_COLUMNS'.

OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' IColumnsInfo::MapColumnIDs returned 0x40eda: [COLUMN_NAME=IS_COMPUTED ORDINAL=-1]].

However, if I run the query as:

"select * from openquery(sql2,'select * from db2.dbo.tbl2 where vnd_nbr = 1234')"

I receive immediate results.

I have verified the collation settings on both servers are the same. I have verified the version of sqloledb.dll is the same on both servers. The query works fine if run on sql2 querying data on sql3. Just not in the above situation of running on sql3 and querying sql2. There aren't any computed columns in the table. I have verified the GUIDs for the servers Distributed Transaction Coordinator are different for both servers.

Any ideas on where to look for the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Michelle

Michelle

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Either using a view, maybe run sp_refreshview? I think SQL caches some meta data about the objects as far as the linked server too.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• No, neither was using a view.  Due to other problems I formatted this system and tried again.  I still received the error so I called Microsoft PSS.  Worth the money!  I had wonderful patient assistance from Chandra who found that if the instcat.sql doesn't install correctly from the service pack, this error can be received.  He worked to see if I could reapply the script to my production box and found that it should be ok.  We installed it and everything works now.

The lesson I learned here:  I keep the unzipped copies of the service packs on my file server for fast access (and incase I don't have Internet access when I need something).  It seems this file got corrupted somehow.  I used this version of the service pack before and after reformatting so that is why the error continued.  If at all possible, download from Microsoft each time you need it.

Thanks, Hope this helps someone in the future,

Michelle

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply