SQL2005 merge to SQL2008?

• Hey friends,

I have two servers a Aussie one and a US one and i want to replicate data between the two they correct info from my two websites .com and com.au. Now i got a running merge replication from 2008 to 2005 no sweat, but it seems that from 2005 to 2008 its not supported. Is there something that i am missing?? As far as i am aware my 2005 is fully patched (Sp4).

Cheers for any advice you can give

Mr J :hehe:

Remember
    Without Change something sleeps inside of us that seldom awakens, the sleeper must awaken!!

• This is from memory so I might get shot down in flames here. But I think the distributor needs to be at the highest SQL version that you are running merge subscriptions to and from.

So, in your case you would need to setup a new distributor that is SQL 2008.

If your SQL2005 machine is both publisher and distributor then I think that's unsupported.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers, Andy

• Yeah I'm coming to realize this sad fact. The problem is the 2005 is the original source that gets updated 100 times a minute so i cant start the replication from the 2008 server because the initialization snapshot will drop all the newly inserted data and i cant point the app to the 2008 because its on a different continent and the lag is killer. You would figure they would release a service pack to handle this issue :crazy:

I really hope i am wrong and that i have missed something

Remember
    Without Change something sleeps inside of us that seldom awakens, the sleeper must awaken!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply