SQL2000 with Access 2000

• We are trying to run a SQL Server 2000 database with an Access 2000 front end, on an NT4 server with Windows 98 workstations. The workstations are also connected to a Novell 3.12 server via Novell Client for Windows 98.

THe problem is that only one workstation consistantly works. On the other PCS it is always possible to load the Access database but it freezes within a few minutes of accessing the forms, running reports etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Claire

• Freezes doing what? Most likely it is client code, not the server - far less likely to have locking issues with SQL compared to Access.

Andy

• Thanks for your response, Andy. The freezing isn't always in the same place in the database, it usually happens while opening a form or scrolling through records, sometimes immediately and sometimes after being signed on successfully for a few minutes.

The PCs affected have the problem even when no one else is signed on, so it doesn't look like a locking problem.

And, there is this one PC which always works, although it appears to have the same setup as the others. I wonder whether it is some other programme cutting in, such as a virus checker.

Any other ideas much appreciated.

Claire

• Are you using named instances to connect to the database? And is does the PC which is not having trouble hit the Novell system. If so are you using IPX/SPX or TCP/IP connections?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Probably worthwhile to run Profiler for a while, capture what's going on, may give you insight into what part of your app was running when the problem occurred.

Andy

• Thanks again for your responses.

Our network has 2 NT servers and one Novell.

We use TCP/IP connections to access the NT Servers and the IPX/SPX protocol to access the Novell Server.

Users have a SQL Server login and user name for the SQL database but there are no user names or passwords on the Access front end (an adp file).

Claire

• Ok, not saying this is the answer but could be a possiblity. We have had problems with Novell client using IPX/SPX that causes wacking to a remote server to freeze in EM and resume sometimes as much as 60 seconds later. Usually this only happens when there are mapped drives to Novell servers bu have seen where this is not the case. Seems that the Novell client goes and listens to the SAP packets for verification of Novell Server list. We have an extremely large number of servers though and haven't confirmed if it is due to that or not.

Is the one working setup with the Novell client and is it the same revision as the others, is access the only thing that hangs? Have you tried installing QA and EM to see what happens on one of the machines having issues? DO you have a protocol analyzer or better yet a sniffer you can attach to the netwrok at the machine that isn't having prblems and one that is to see if anything specific occurring? If these are NT machines, have you checked and made a list of items running under task manager to see if anything is common to those boxes that have the problem as opposed to the one without?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• The working workstation appears to have exactly the same configuration as the others and is linked to the same servers - but there must be some difference. The only obvious difference is that that PC has Office 97 running as well as Office 2000. I will have a look at Task Manager and try your other suggestions.

Many thanks

Claire

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply