SQL Transition SQL 2005 32 bit to 64 bit

• I’m looking for migration/upgrade advise. I have a very beefy 32 bit SQL implementation…lots of disk, lots of memory, and lots of CPU. However, we are really working hard on our 64 bit SharePoint implementation and I’m thinking I should pursue 64 bit SQL sooner rather than later. This is a consolidated SQL box with 122 databases. My hardware configuration is:

HP DL380G5 (Intel Xeon Woodcrest 5160 – 3Ghz, 1333 Mhz FSB)

2 Chips (4 Cores)

10GB Memory AWE/3GB Switch enabled

Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition SP2

SQL Server 2005 SP2 32 bit

C:\ – internal SCSI card – RAID 1 72Gb 15K SAS

D:\ 10 x 15K SAS SFF 2.5” 72 GB RAID 5

E:\ 32 X 15K SAS 3.5” 140 GB RAID6 + hot spare

SQL Products being used: RDBMS, SSIS, SSRS – in order of degree used.

I would like to transition this server to SQL Server 2008 Standard 64 bit on 64 bit OS. Obviously, I am going to have to build something from scratch. What I have available to me:

I have another HP DL380G5 identical chassis – only without all the memory and expanded disk cages. I would love to pre-build a new server and litterally transplant memory and IO expansion cages from one chassis to another over a small maitenance window.

3 things seem like an obvious challenge:

•Transition from 32 bit to 64 bit (some SSIS challenges)

•Transition from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 (although my experiences with 2005 lead me to believe that 9.0 compatablilty mode on SQL 2008 would leave me in fine shape)

•Transition from one server to another (not an in-place upgrade)

oSpecifically, I am concerned about server/database logins and the migration process.

I am interested in hearing from folks out there that may have been through a similar process.

Thanks.

Ryan Hunt

• Bump.

Anyone interested in discussing this?

• Hi Ryan,

As you have a bit idea on considerations before migration. Here's some other use ful informations while performing the migration from 32 to 64 bit...

1. Make sure to consider if ther is any linked server being used. As oledb and odbc providers work in completely different fashion you would need to keep both 32 and 64 bit providers installed in the new 64 bit server.

2. As long as databases are concerned there is no such problem, you can simply detach and attach the databases to new 64 environment. You can also get it restored from a backup taken on 32 bit system.

3. Check for any DLL assembly being imported in sql server. As changing the platform will also effect the execution of all the existing managed database objects.

good luck...

• The biggest problem you are likely to have is drivers. A 64-bit SQL Server cannot use 32 bit ODBC/OLEDB drivers, hence you need to ensure that there are 64-bit drivers available for whatever data sources you will need to connect to.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply