SQL Transaction Status After Dropped Connection

• Say you begin a transaction and it dosen't have a chance to commit before your network connection is dropped, what is the behavior that SQL Server should do with that transaction? I'm looking for good options to handle transactions on a flaky network.

• The server will timeout the connection and rollback the transaction.

---------------------------------------------
    [font="Verdana"]Nothing is impossible.
    It is just a matter of time and money.[/font]

• That is set on the server for 600 seconds for "remote queries" under the Server Connections. So then the connection is left sort of in an "orphaned" state, pardon the poor choice of terms until it times out? Is there a way to re-establish the same connection?

• The question is. Do you manage the transactions inside the SQL code or from the client?

You can not get that connection back. If you issued a command and the SQL is actively communicating with the client it will know that the connection went belly up because it will not be able to confirm the SQL code finished. I think the timeout is for non active connections.

• The transactions are handled by the client side.

• If I read your post correctly the 'remote query' timeout is not what we are talking about here. The timeout you mention is used by the SQL Server itself to cancel any connections the Server initiated on remote servers.

• ah, my mistake, thank you. So I'm assuming there is a timeout setting in SQL Server then for connections that were dropped to clean them up?

• Yes, but I do not remember what setting it is and if you can control it.

I think there are two separate mechanisms for detecting broken connections.

1. If you issue a SQL command, the Server will try to let you know when it is done with it. If it can not communicate back with the client it will kill that connection.

2. If you a connection open but do not issue any specific commands for a while - the server is going to ping that connection to make sure it did not go offline. I do not remember exactly but this timeout is around 15 minutes or so. The last time I had to deal with this issue was SQL Server 7 so things might have changed since.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply