SQL to AS400 intermittent commnication link failure

• I have an SQL 2003 server using a linkserver to an AS400. I run nightly jobs replicating tables and also run queries on SQL that links to the AS400 pulling results with no problem EXCEPT occassionally I get a communication link error. I need some tuning help I suppose. The failure is not at any particular time, it just happens . . . what can I do? The exact error is ---- OLE DB provider 'MSDASQL' reported an error. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 7399) Communication link failure. APPC Primary RC = Parameter_Check; Secondary RC = Bad_LU_Alias.] [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 7312) Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed] [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 7312) Driver not capable. SQLSetConnectOption] [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 7312) OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL' IDBInitialize::Initialize returned 0x80004005: ]. [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 7300). The step failed.

• What driver are you using?  Is it the IBM DB2 UDB for iSeries OLEDB Provider driver?

Have you verified that your current IBM iSeries Access for Windows service pack is current and cooresponds with your OS400 cumulative update version?

I have OS400 V5R2 on the AS400 and service level SI08894 for CAE on the SQL server and we have no problems.

Ryan

• In our shop we usually push from AS/400 to SQL and every once in a while the connection fails. We've had IBM, the network guys, the AS\400 hardware people look at it and no one can help solve it. They finger point.

Michelle

• Michelle,

If you can, I would try a DTS pull from the AS400 to SQL.  We have had VERY good luck with that.

Ryan

• How did you set up the sql  linkserver with AS400

• Install iSeries Navigator on your SQL box so you have the necessary drivers.  Then setup an ODBC DSN pointing to your DB2 library of choice.  On SQL setup the linked server using a datasource and enter the name of your DSN.

Ryan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply