SQL Servert instance network configuration through Script or commandline

• Hello everyone.

For one of our products we are using the SQL Server 2008 Express edition. The server is installed as named instance. Our server application connects to the SQL Server via NHibernate on the local server. Maintenance tasks are done through SSMS via a remote connection. Until now, the network configuration is done via the GUI, the SQL Server connection is set to port 1433. I want to move the configuration tasks to the installation of the SQL server.

The firewall is configured through a bat file before the installation starts:

netsh firewall set portopening TCP 1433 "SQL Server Default Port"

Until now, the TCPENABLED option was set to "0" In the setup.ini of the SQL Server.

If the option is set to "1", do I have to take further steps to configure the instance?

Is it better to configure the SQL Server with dynamic ports which - I think - leads to the activation of SQL Server Browser, or a static configuration?

Thank you for the information

Regards Alex

• Is it better to configure the SQL Server with dynamic ports which - I think - leads to the activation of SQL Server Browser, or a static configuration?

The SQL Server Browser program runs as a Windows service. SQL Server Browser listens for incoming requests for Microsoft SQL Server resources and provides information about SQL Server instances installed on the computer. SQL Server Browser contributes to the following actions:

•Browsing a list of available servers

•Connecting to the correct server instance

•Connecting to dedicated administrator connection (DAC) endpoints

However, if the SQL Server Browser service is not running, the following connections do not work:

•Any component that tries to connect to a named instance without fully specifying all the parameters (such as the TCP/IP port or named pipe).

•Any component that generates or passes server\instance information that could later be used by other components to reconnect.

•Connecting to a named instance without providing the port number or pipe.

•DAC to a named instance or the default instance if not using TCP/IP port 1433.

•The OLAP redirector service.

•Enumerating servers in SQL Server Management Studio, Enterprise Manager, or Query Analyzer.

SQL Server Browser Service

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181087.aspx

• Hello Dev!

Thanks for the info and the link to the knowledge base.

I think I should add some information.

- TCP/IP was enabled

- the port was set to 1433 for all network interfaces

- SQL Browser was disabled

- Remote connections via IP\Instancename are working.

As far as I understood the information you gave me, I should enable the SQL Browser and let it handle the port configuration as a static configuration could leed to problems. I will try this on a VM.

Alex

• I will try this on a VM.

Sure. Please don't forget to update us, if it works.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply