SQL Servers and Licence planning

• Hello Guys,

We have 20-25 SQL Server 2000 and 2005 hosting 30-40 small to medium size DBS.

We are paying 4K per licence and prefer consolidating all small DBs as one big SQL Server

on a meaty piece of hardware therefore we can reduce the number of licence.

Please let me know how we can plan to rearrange our SQL structure structure in terms of what DB

goes where etc.

Is there any articles, suggestions explaining how to structure DB serves and host DBs ?

Thank you for your comments.

Thayal

• If you are planning on consolidating servers, there aren't any great resources I've seen. It's very diverse to move server names, determine resource usage, application impact, so any articles I've seen are very general.

One thing I'd recommend is to go 64-bit, with more memory, and you should be able to get lots of databases on one server. I don't recommend multiple instances because of the work involved with sorting out memory.

You might start by looking at the utilization of the servers. See which ones have low transaction rates and low CPU usage. I might combine a few of these onto one server by moving the databases, moving the logins (sp_help_revlogin) and then changing the applications to point to the new server.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply