SQL Server Setup Failure

• We are using SQL Server 2014 and I am getting the error
    "SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:
    The NT Service 'MSSQL$instancname' could not be started.
    Error Code 0x84B20001"

This error occures after the installation of a Service Packs or Cumulative Update.  Also I do not get the message "Installation Completed' that I would normaly get from SQL once a task completes

the instance comes up fine and all testing is normal. 

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

• jayoub - Monday, January 30, 2017 9:33 AM

We are using SQL Server 2014 and I am getting the error
    "SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:
    The NT Service 'MSSQL$instancname' could not be started.
    Error Code 0x84B20001"

This error occures after the installation of a Service Packs or Cumulative Update.  Also I do not get the message "Installation Completed' that I would normaly get from SQL once a task completes

the instance comes up fine and all testing is normal. 

Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

Check out the log files for more information.  C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Log

John

• IIRC, there was a connect item for this error for 2008 SP1, had to do with a registry key "ConfigurationState"
    😎

• Thank you very much for the reply.  I looked in the folder and looked at the Detail.txt file - hope that was the correct one - it did give me lots of detail.  MSSQL$InstanceName is the virtual Service account and I found, in short, the following errors.  Any feedback is appreciated.  

Restoring the following NT service to a running state after patch action: MSSQL$InstanceName
    Slp: Sco: Attempting to start service MSSQL$InstanceName
    Slp: Sco: Attempting to start service MSSQL$InstanceName, start parameters
    Slp: Sco: Attempting to start service MSSQL$InstanceName
    Slp: Sco: Attempting to open SC Manager
    Slp: Sco: Attempting to open service handle for service MSSQL$InstanceName
    Slp: Sco: Service MSSQL$InstanceName already running or pending start
    Slp: Sco: Attempting to close service handle for service MSSQL$InstanceName

Slp: Waiting for nt event Global\sqlserverRecComplete$InstanceName to be created
    Slp: Waiting for nt event Global\sqlserverRecComplete$InstanceName or sql process handle to be signaled
    Slp: Error: Failed to start the following NT service after patch action: MSSQL$InstanceName
    Slp: Sleeping 10 seconds before retrying NT service start request

Sco: Attempting to open service handle for service MSSQL$InstanceName
    Slp: Invoking QueryServiceStatusEx Win32 API

Slp: Sco: Attempting to close service handle for service MSSQL$InstanceName
    Slp: Sco: Attempting to close SC Manager
    Slp: Sco: Returning service process id 7204

Error: Action "Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.RunPatchAllInstanceAction" threw an exception during execution.
    Slp: Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionExecutionException: The NT service 'MSSQL$InstanceName' could
    not be started. ---> Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.ChainerInvalidOperationException: The NT service
    'MSSQL$InstanceName' could not be started.
    Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.RunPatchAllInstanceAction.RestoreServiceStates()
    at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.RunPatchAllInstanceAction.ExecuteAction(String actionId)
    Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.Action.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)
    Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.<>c__DisplayClasse.<ExecuteActionWithRetryHelper>b__b()
    Slp:  at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.ExecuteActionHelper(ActionWorker
    workerDelegate)
    Slp:  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Slp: Exception type: Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.ChainerInvalidOperationException
    Slp:  Message:
    Slp:   The NT service 'MSSQL$InstanceName' could not be started.
    Slp:  HResult : 0x84b20001
    Slp:   FacilityCode : 1202 (4b2)
    Slp:   ErrorCode : 1 (0001)
    Slp:  Stack:
    Slp:   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.RunPatchAllInstanceAction.RestoreServiceStates()
    Slp:   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.RunPatchAllInstanceAction.ExecuteAction(String
    actionId)
    Slp:   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.Action.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)
    Slp:   at
    Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.<>c__DisplayClasse.<ExecuteActionWithRetryHelper>b__b()
    Slp:   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.ExecuteActionHelper(ActionWorker
    workerDelegate)
    Slp: Watson Bucket 2
    Original Parameter Values

Jeff

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Monday, January 30, 2017 10:06 AM

IIRC, there was a connect item for this error for 2008 SP1, had to do with a registry key "ConfigurationState"
    😎

Yup...seems to be the same issue.  Here is the connect item:
    SQL 2008 SP1 Fails with error code 0x84B20001

The workaround section has the registry settings for configuration values that others have changed to address the issue.

Sue

• Thanks.  I checked it out and its for 2008.  Would the same apply for SQL 2014?

Jeff

• jayoub - Monday, January 30, 2017 1:01 PM

Thanks.  I checked it out and its for 2008.  Would the same apply for SQL 2014?

Not sure - I noticed it wasn't fixed though. I looked around and just saw it up to 2012.
    Nonetheless it's probably worth taking a look at the registry keys to see if they are set to 0.

Sue

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply