SQL Server re- installation at windows core system

• I was asked to install SQL Server at the machine with windows without GUI installed. I had an .ini file prepared and installation files were mounted. So I logged into the machine with RDP connection, copied ini file to 'C:\Temp' folder and triggered installation with the below command:

Setup.exe /ConfigurationFile = 'C:\Temp\install.ini'

The installation completed successfully, but then I noticed that there was an typo in .ini file (wrong directory was chosen). So without thinking to much I created ini file based on the installation file (action = install to action = uninstall and removed some details regarding sa accounts, destination folder) and I've run the same command with a new file.

Unfortunately at this moment I can see that the SQL server was not uninstalled properly. The tempdb's files, and log files are still in the folders. At the same time I cannot any SQL Server related process at that machine (I am checking with Get-Service power-shell command). So at this moment I cannot proceed neither with un-installation as command completes without any message within an moment, nor with installation, as there is an error that tempdb files already exists.

Could you please advice how can I safely get rid of the detritus after the first installation now? So I could start it over from begging?

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• The data and log files usually aren't deleted when you uninstall. You can manually delete them and then try the reinstall.

Sue

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply