SQL Server Monitoring Tool Suggestions

• Hi, we are looking to replace our monitoring /alerting tool, which is sitescope (because of some contract issues) with something same. In my past experience I have used ProactiveNet, Idera, uptime spotlight, foglight and MOM. These are all good tools but they provide too much information, way more than what I need .

I need robust alerting tool for few hundred MSSQL servers, with no shenanigans. Just simple to maintain and implement, light weight on resources. Any feedback / suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!!

• Alterting and not much else... Check out Red Gate's SQL Alert. I think it might be exactly your cup of tea. I find it way too weak, but I want all those stacks of data.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Make that SQL Response.

SQL BAK Explorer - read SQL Server backup file details without SQL Server.
    Supports backup files created with SQL Server 2005 up to SQL Server 2017.

• Ooopsie. That's what I get for using my brain instead of the Mark I Eyeball. I really need a brain upgrade. Thanks.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• We don't need much more than the alerting that we get from SQL Response and it works good for that. Hopefully the new version will be out soon. It's supposed to use a database as the alert repository, instead of the method that is used in the current version.

• We use just what is built into SQL Server Alerts. I have about 25 alerts that is scripted and whenever we have a new server built we apply the scripts. No frills here... 😉

• Thnaks folks, Looks like SQL response is the tool I should Look into.

• Hi - I'm part of the team working on the new version of SQL Response here at Red Gate, and I just wanted to confirm that yes, it will be using a SQL Server database as a backend to store all of the collected data..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply