SQL Server management Studio using UDP 1434 and TCP 1433

• I have a SQL 2005 active/passive cluster that is in a fire walled VLAN. I have about 10 clients running SQL Server management Studio all from a client VLAN. Some clients connect to the named virtual instance directly using TCP 1433 others use UDP 1434 and fail. What determines which protocol sqlwb.exe uses to connect to a database? All the clients and the server appear to be setup to use TCP 1433 only. We do not want to have to allow UDP traffic.

• I've sometimes had to define an ODBC data source in Windows Control Pannel to force the use of a specific port. Have you tried that?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I've never heard of SQL Server using port 1434 UDP. Usually in our environment we open port 1433, and 1434 TCP, but I believe it is configured in SQL as to which port the instance is open for.

• 1434 udp is only required if not connecting to the named instance directly and usually if the instance is using the non standard port 1433

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply