SQL Server looking for wrong master log file on startup

• We restarted one of our SQL servers recently, and it failed to start correctly with the following messages in the error log:

2015-01-31 02:53:40.88 spid4s Starting up database 'master'.

2015-01-31 02:53:40.91 spid4s Error: 17204, Severity: 16, State: 1.

2015-01-31 02:53:40.91 spid4s FCB::Open failed: Could not open file C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.<instance>\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ld for file number 2. OS error: 2(The system cannot find the file specified.).

2015-01-31 02:53:40.92 spid4s Error: 5120, Severity: 16, State: 101.

2015-01-31 02:53:40.92 spid4s Unable to open the physical file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.<instance>\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ld". Operating system error 2: "2(The system cannot find the file specified.)".

Notice that it's looking for mastlog.ld (missing "f").

I checked the service startup parameters in Configuration Manager, as well as the registry location where these values are stored (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.<instance>\MSSQLServer\Parameters) and they both displayed the correct filename (including the "f"):

-lC:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.<instance>\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ldf

In the end we copied "mastlog.ldf" to "mastlog.ld" in the same folder, and the service then started successfully.

Why would the service be looking for a different filename than the one specified in the startup parameters? Is there any other place that it may be looking for these config values?

-----
    JL

• how long have you had this installed? Did SQL Server start previously OK?

Something odd happened or someone got in and changed startup parameters somehow.

• Maybe retype the startup parameters completely? Perhaps some NULL character got in there that you can't see? Very odd scenario!

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• It's in the registry, IIRC. However, if there are overriding parameters in the services applet or however the service is started, they should take effect.

If you restarted, I can't imagine that it's was changed easily. Have you checked what's stored in the master database? Perhaps it's got the log misconfigured there?

• Markus (2/2/2015)

how long have you had this installed? Did SQL Server start previously OK?

This server has been live for about 18 months, but hasn't been restarted for at least 6 months. We've never had this issue previously.

TheSQLGuru (2/2/2015)

Maybe retype the startup parameters completely? Perhaps some NULL character got in there that you can't see?

That's the only thing I could think of too. The next time we have a maintenance window I was going to try and change it to something different, restarted service, then retype the correct path and restart again.

I'll post back if I have any luck.

-----
    JL

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply