SQL Server License - Per Processor

• I have a pretty low use SQL Server that was purchased by a department to run SQL 2000.  It's a dual Xeon 2.8 Ghz with 4GB RAM and a 3 drive RAID 5 (yes, I said three drives).  So the IO system bottlenecks long before anything else gets geared up.  Anyway, like I said, it's low use to it's not a big deal.

Now, the vendor who's software this thing is running is requiring an upgrade to SQL 2005.  This box is not worth the $12,000 license it would take to license both procs.  Per seat licensing and CALS is out.  So, I'm thinking about just licensing one processor and adding a couple more drives.

So, my question is: Am I legal if I license one proc and setup the SQL Server Configuration to only use one specific processor, or do I need to literally pull one processor out of the server?

• I can't directly answer your question, but I do have a question for you, how many users access the system?  You indicate it is low use, so why are you ruling out per seat licensing?

• It services an internal web app accessible by all employees (which is enough to rule out per seat, etc.)

• I believe that you'll be in violation of license if you use a single processor license on that machine.  I don't think that you can restrict SQL Server to use just one processor.

Have you considered buying a new server?  Upgrading hardware is indispensable (at least in the long run) and the price of computers is much lower now than earlier.  You could get a fast one processor machine and run SQL Server on it.

Regards,

Carlos

• Yeah, I kinda figured I couldn't do it but I was hoping to hear differently from someone that knew better.  I think I'll probably just switch out the box with a single proc (dual core) box and use the 2 proc Xeon elsewhere.

Thanks for the input. RH

• I just reread the licensing for SQL Server 2005.  You would need to purchase a per processor license for each processor in the server.  If you are looking at a single processor system, you might want to look at one of the quad core systems.  We are running two dual processor (quad core) systems, and they are exstremely fast.  If your application is low use, but could use the extra horse power that may be a good alternative.

• I think you have to have more than 8 CPUs before you can license SQL based on the Affinity Mask.

But there is another solution to your problem (besides ripping out a CPU).  That would be running in a Virtual Server.  It presents a single CPU to the OS instance that is running SQL, so you need 1 CPU license.

You will need an additional OS license, but that is cheap compared to a CPU license for SQL.

Here's a linky-poo  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/default.mspx

The VS software is free.  I've been using it for months, running multiple SQL servers on 1 physical machine without so much as a hiccup. 

I'm not 100% sure on the SQL licensing, so double check.

• If you use Windows Server 2003 R2 as the host OS, you can use the same license for up to 4 Virtual Servers on the same box.  Not sure if that applies only to Enterprise Edition only or if Standard Edition includes the same agreement or not.

• You need to purchase licences for as many processors as the operating system has access to.  So one option is to disable one or more processors in the BIOS.

John

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply