SQL Server Internals

• Hi,

I am trying to dig into the internals of SQL Server.

I created a database say "Test".When I run DBCC SHOWFILESTATS it shows the TotalExtents and UsedExtents as 20 each.

Then I created a table "t1" with a single column "id" and inserted a single row in the table.When I run DBCC IND ('Test','t1',1) it shows 2 datapages been allocated also with "sp_spaceused t1" the result returned shows it holds the data of 8KB.

So again when I run DBCC SHOWFILESTATS the totalExtents have now jumped from 20 to 36.Since each extent is a group of 8 datapages so 16 * 8 = 64.So 64 datapages were created just because a small table having a single row was created.

I just want to know what are those 16 extents for ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am just an another naive wannabe DBA trying to learn SQL Server

• Probably because your data file had to grow, and it won't grow by just 2 pages, it grows by whatever the autogrow size is. Other than the 2 pages allocated to the table, the rest will be unallocated, empty, available for future tables and data

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (1/16/2011)

Probably because your data file had to grow, and it won't grow by just 2 pages, it grows by whatever the autogrow size is. Other than the 2 pages allocated to the table, the rest will be unallocated, empty, available for future tables and data

Well it seems to be that way.With 1 MB auto grow set it grows by 16 extent.From what I have tried it seems that auto grow does not impact number of extent by which the file grows.By default it grows by 16 extent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am just an another naive wannabe DBA trying to learn SQL Server

• You may wish to read this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190969.aspx

To gain some insight into how a database size grows.

To gain a feeling for your particular tables growth perhaps this will give you some insight,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924947

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply