SQL server Installation by Power User

• Hello All,

My Organisation is facing an issue where due to restricted policy we can not provide Administration access to everyone, not even to those who are supposed to install SQL server on the servers.

I thought that adding these users into the Power Users group will allow them to install applications on the server but it does not seem to be the case.

Are there any options that I need to enable for them to be able to get the installation softwares on my servers?

Thanks

• I will suggest instead of changing the procedure, you should follow the policy.

Inform the person who have sufficient permission(like domain admin and system admin) on server for installation. Or request your id/required id to be addedd in that group.

----------
    Ashish

• Hi Ashish,

Yes actually you are correct on this but its not my Organisations policy, its a country specific policy due to which Administration access can not be provided to the users who are accessing from another country due to all the data on the server being available. For installation part it is very much required for me to provide access to these people but not as Admin on the domain or on the system.

I was interested in the Power User role for such users because as written on the MSDN site that it provides an access that is in the middle of users and Administrators, so thought that it might provide permissions to install softwares on the machines also. Let me see if I can see something further on this.

Thanks for the reply anyways, will finally have to do what you suggested if nothing else works.

• The SQL Server install GUI will not even start if you are not in the local administrator group.

There are many ways to protect data from local admin, so in the end granting temporary local admin to a user for an install is only a threat to the local machine and nothing else (as long as the rest of your domain is correcly setup that is).

You should also monitor what local admins are doing while their account is enabled (there are also many tools to do that).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply