SQL server in fiber mode

• Sometimes my CPU shoots up to 80% and i notice disk reads way beyond the I/O capacity like 2000/sec and number of context switches /sec is 20,000. Will running in Fiber mode help. We have reasonably optimized queries on a legacy Fox Pro app which is used by 600+ telemarketers pounding 2 processor machine running S2K enterprise and 4 gig of ram. Experts want to hear your words of wisdom ??

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• My guess is that it probably would not help much if at all.  We had what sounds like a similar situation where I tried running in Fiber Mode, there was no benefit that we could see.  What finally did make some difference was adding some RAM (of course) and bumping up the number of worker threads.  Your mileage may vary...

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

• Thanks for your reply. I have 4 gb RAM and the /3Gb switch in the boot.ini. However SQL does not use more than 1.6 Gb  for most part. Should i start the server with 2 Gb min memory

-srini

• Check the paging of the server you might have just an I/O bottleneck.

• BTW In fiber mode you will have to say Godd bye to DTS

* Noel

• I think you meant DTC...?

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply