SQL Server Configuration Manager can not display sql related services

• Hello gents

The error has been troubling me for quite a while on one of my managed servers.

The error texts reads: the remote procedure call failed. [0x800706be].

And I've attached the screen shot in this post also.

The instance is running with SQL 2008 enterprise edition with SP2. This error has been there since the first day I took over this job and the guy before me didn't even know when this error started.

Any thoughts on solving this trouble?

Bazinga!

• Try restarting the Windows Management Instrumentation service (WMI). Any luck then?

• Nope, still no luck after restarting the Windows Management Instrumentation. Any other ideas?

Bazinga!

• Can you see any events in Application and System?

• Nothing fancy related to sql server manager that I can find....

Bazinga!

• Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the tools? Perhaps there is something corrupted in the installation?

I assume you are logging on as an admin, correct?

• Yes, I am logged on as a local windows admin and sql admin as well.

And I am going to reinstall the tools, but by the way, I at this moment only possess the installation CD of a starndard edition of sql 2008 while the instance causing trouble is an Enterprise edition.

Will this edition difference be much of a problem?

Bazinga!

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/30/2011)

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the tools? Perhaps there is something corrupted in the installation?

I assume you are logging on as an admin, correct?

Hello Steve

I've just done a repair (from SQL2008's installation media) of the whole instance including management tools etc.

And this problem still persisits.

Any other thoughts maybe?

Thanks in advance!

Bazinga!

• I think you must have something corrupted. The repair might not actually fix things. I would think you might need to uninstall the client tools, reboot, then reinstall, but I'd be nervous about doing this on the server.

Can you connect from another server with this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190622.aspx

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/26/2011)

I think you must have something corrupted. The repair might not actually fix things. I would think you might need to uninstall the client tools, reboot, then reinstall, but I'd be nervous about doing this on the server.

Can you connect from another server with this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190622.aspx

Thanks for your reply first of all.

I've tried the above mentioned remote connection method before I even put up the orginal post.

From another server, I can see the SQL Server Configuration Manager which is at a lower version 2005. And the 2005's configuration manager shows correct servie status for SQL2005 instance. The problematic server has two versions of instances installed. But I can't see the SQL Server Configuration Manager for version 2008.

Bazinga!

• Did you install 2008 or 2005 first?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply