SQL Server Cluster Licence Question

• Hello All,

I am looking at SQL Server Clustering for a new client. We want to look at providing a Clustered environment but i wanted to confirm regarding licence costs.

In a 3 server clustered environment, would each single server require a separate enterprise licence or could the licence be shared between all three servers?

What other ideas do you guys have for licence costs for multiple servers running multiple cores.

• As I understand it (and things may have changed since I last looked at it), you can license only one of your cluster nodes if you intend to run all three instances on the same node.  If you intend to operate what used to be known as an active-active configuration, you will need to license each node that will have SQL Server running on it.

John

• it actually goes a bit further than that.
    For each licensed server you are entitled one standby but this must be only used for a period of less than 28 days .

The best advice is to contact your MS licensing representative

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle - Tuesday, September 19, 2017 9:37 AM

it actually goes a bit further than that.
    For each licensed server you are entitled one standby but this must be only used for a period of less than 28 days .

The best advice is to contact your MS licensing representative

I believe that only applies if you have software assurance coverage on the active box. If you don't have software assurance then you need to license both the active and the standby or passive box.

Like you said best advise is to contact MS or a reseller who can advise.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply