SQL Server Architecture

• Hello,

We're planning to implement a brand new SQL server 2008 R2 architecture. But I'm not sure of myself about SQL features (SSAS, SSRS, SSIS).

I work in a big society where a lot of different products are installed/developped/etc for doing pretty much the same thing. So developers develop, consultant install and test their apps, etc without always follow our naming conventions, some products needs to use a "Sysadmin" user to create their DB, users and so.

Well, you see, it's maybe the same mess in your society.

Okay, for Analysis services, I think we will install the feature on a dedicated machine and for each apps that need to use AS, just to make sure developers and consultants they won't write nasty code and kill performances on our DB servers. If they write crap, they are the only ones to be impacted.

But for Reporting Services and Integration Services, I don't really know...

Basic scenario/config. If I create a dedicated RS instance for all apps that need RS.

Sometimes, in applications wizard, you can enter the name of the reporting DB that will be created. But sometimes not, its default name. So, if 5 apps uses the same reportingServerDB and reportingServerTempDB, I guess they will face a problem. So what ?

Depending on the application, should I create a instance to host the reporting DB's ? Hope my explanations are ok 🙂

And now Integration services. What to do ? Is IS a "ressource eater" ? What would you do ? A integration services for each environments ?

I hope the subject doesn't exists yet...

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Franck.

• The answers to all of those questions are highly dependent on your specific business needs and resources.

Really, I'd hire a contractor to help you plan it all out. That will get you the best results.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• franck.maton (2/9/2011)

Hello,

We're planning to implement a brand new SQL server 2008 R2 architecture. But I'm not sure of myself about SQL features (SSAS, SSRS, SSIS).

I work in a big society where a lot of different products are installed/developped/etc for doing pretty much the same thing. So developers develop, consultant install and test their apps, etc without always follow our naming conventions, some products needs to use a "Sysadmin" user to create their DB, users and so.

Well, you see, it's maybe the same mess in your society.

Okay, for Analysis services, I think we will install the feature on a dedicated machine and for each apps that need to use AS, just to make sure developers and consultants they won't write nasty code and kill performances on our DB servers. If they write crap, they are the only ones to be impacted.

But for Reporting Services and Integration Services, I don't really know...

Basic scenario/config. If I create a dedicated RS instance for all apps that need RS.

Sometimes, in applications wizard, you can enter the name of the reporting DB that will be created. But sometimes not, its default name. So, if 5 apps uses the same reportingServerDB and reportingServerTempDB, I guess they will face a problem. So what ?

Depending on the application, should I create a instance to host the reporting DB's ? Hope my explanations are ok 🙂

And now Integration services. What to do ? Is IS a "ressource eater" ? What would you do ? A integration services for each environments ?

I hope the subject doesn't exists yet...

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Franck.

What's your setup now and what ressources each feature is using. This is the only anyone can figure this out.

And I second GSquared for the consultant part unless you have some extra time to figure it out.

• Thanks for your fast replies.

Well, I'm sure of nothing about the apps installed on application servers. I've my plan for our future architecture, but as I didn't find any best practice on the web concerning the installation of those feature, I was asking you what your "best practices" 🙂

I'll take some extra time to think about that. And in the future I'll keep an eye on new projects.

Have a nice day.

Regards.

Franck.

• There really isn't a cookie-cutter "best practices" answer to those questions. It's all very dependent on the business needs and resources.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply