SQL Server Administration Problem

• Dear All,

I have been faced with a problem. My company is currently using an application that has SQL Server 2000 as its back-end, and is a live database.

I have been asked to get an efficient way to get the database backup on the end of each day. The problem is that time allocated for a VNC connection with this server is 15 - 20 mins max. During this time I am able to make a backup and also have scheduled a task for it to maintain the differential backup.

I would like to know how to get the differential backup on a different machine, known as backup machine - so that the data can be used for analysis purpose.

P.S. This all needs to be done within 30 mins, where as the backup counts up to 600 MB plus. During this time, we cannot get that 600 MB database onto another machine via FTP.

Regards & Thanks in advance.

• You could set up a scheduled ftp task?

Or you could look at log shipping, get the db off once then just apply the small transaction logs?

• I would like to know, whether there is a way to schedule a task whether we can create a script of the transactions that have been done over the day today - and transferred over to a backup running database - I think that can be a good solutions.

Suggestions Required.

• Hello a-malik,

you could set up transactional replication, and distribute the updates at the end of the day.  Log-shipping is another way as mentioned earlier.

jg

• Instead of using builtin sql log shipping you can write your own log shipping script...

1.Backup the file to local disk 

2. Zip the backup file...

3. Copy the zip file to other server...

4. Unzip and restore the file..

OR

You can do the transactional replication...

instead of running the snapshot you can setup the replication as Subscriber has schema and data option to avoid expensive snapshot...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply