SQL Server 2022 on Azure VM

• I was provisioned  this DB on an Azure VM. I needed to uninstall and reinstall it in order to set the proper collation. I dont know how it was originally setup or if it  goes by another namelike "Managed SQL Instance" as another department handles setting these up.

When they learned of my uninstall/reinstall they said the server would likely need to be blown away and redone since:

"In SQL Server on Azure VM's, SQL is installed by Microsoft along with all the extensions and management; removing SQL removes all those feature and makes theVM and SQL not supportable."

I removed only the SQL Server 2022 application. Would there have been some other applications removed or an orphaning of the new instance with an uninstall like this?

Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings;

• To a very large degree, a VM is a VM. If it's running locally, Azure, AWS, Google Cloud, doesn't matter. Yes, there are SQL Server configured VMs to pull from. Yes, they include installing stuff like SSMS. Can you go in to that VM and uninstall and reinstall SQL Server? Well, can you if you were running the VM locally? Yes? Same thing in Azure. Of course you can.

Now, that said, let's say your organization, by default, chooses to run the Azure image of SQL Server VMs across the estate. Those all come with default values assigned at creation, so they're standard. You uninstalling SQL Server, and then reinstalling it with different values means that you've introduced deviation to the standards within your org. That's not necessarily a showstopper, but it's a pain. I'd avoid it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• If it is an Azure SQLVM, I would prefer my Azure provider/facilitator to drop the Azure SQLVM and provide you an Azure SQLVM that matches your specs.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply