sql server 2014 sp1 brings down cluster

• I have a one node(waiting on delivery of 2nd node) active/passive cluster win 2012 and sql 2014. WHen i apply sql 2014 sp1 it fails and takes down one of the clustered disks (it does fail when trying to write a log to the drive which is taken down. Anyone seen this with SP1 yet

• when the update for the sp runs it takes disk resource offline along with the sql server role.

• Any errors in the cluster log?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• only thing is it not only drops the disk resource it drops the whole sql server role

• tcronin 95651 (1/14/2016)

I have a one node(waiting on delivery of 2nd node) active/passive cluster win 2012 and sql 2014. WHen i apply sql 2014 sp1 it fails and takes down one of the clustered disks (it does fail when trying to write a log to the drive which is taken down. Anyone seen this with SP1 yet

You have a single node cluster with a clustered sql server instance running, correct?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• yes was going to add 2nd instance this week but this SP1 issue has me worried. I have seem some links to solution with registry changes, not a big fan of this on a cluster

• tcronin 95651 (1/19/2016)

yes was going to add 2nd instance this week but this SP1 issue has me worried. I have seem some links to solution with registry changes, not a big fan of this on a cluster

If you have a single node cluster and there is a clustered instance of sql running here then when you patch it will offline the clustered role 😉

When you run the patch and it checks pre reqs it will warn that a cluster role is owned by the local cluster node, you chose to continue

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Update always the passive node.

If sql service is running on node nr 1 you must update node nr 2 (passive node), reboot node nr 2, force failover, check sql server log after failover, if everythings ok, update node nr 1 (passive), reboot node nr 1.

If you have an active/active cluster you must failover sql server instance running on node nr 2 to node nr 1, update node nr 2 and so on...

• thanks to both, waiting on 2nd node, realize the way to do it is passive first, we got tired of waiting on 2nd node and trying to fix some issues with rtm version.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply