SQL Server 2008 SP2 Update

• I have 3 sql Server 2008 Sp1.Server A ,B and C

A & B contains 2 instances.Mirroring implemented on these 2 instances.Witness server is C

A is primary and B is secondary.

I want to apply SP2 on A and B.How to apply this with minimal down time.Is reboot of OS is required ?

Pls confirm

Binu

• no need to reboot the server u can install with using fail-over ...

if am wrong am sorry... thankyou..

• I always assume that a service pack install will require a service restart - if it doesn't then that's a bonus - but most likely you will need a restart. Do you not have a dev env you can try this on first?

Although I don't have a running mirror I'd suggest you patch the mirrored env first, then the source then the witness.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• I do assume service needs to be restarted, even if its not required I prefer to reboot the server (host) and then install service pack and CU as needed than restart server once again to ensure everything okay....

Here are the tetative steps...

Set1:

Backup all db's

Pause Mirror for all db's

Restart mirror host

install sp2

install CU?

Restart mirror host

Validate SQL server log

Validate event log

Set2:

Resume Mirror for all db's

Initiate all db failover

Ensure application is able to work with mirror without any issue

Set3:

Repeat steps from Set1 on original principal (now mirror)

Repeat steps from Set2 to go back to original principal (now mirror)

This is what I used in my setup though we have manual failover thus there might be addition regarding witness related steps...

BOL, try it if you can on a test env just to be on safer side...

Prakash Heda
    Lead DBA Team - www.sqlfeatures.com
    Video sessions on Performance Tuning and SQL 2012 HA

• Thanks for your update.I did the same way.

Now I have one doubt.

We have Cumulative Updates and Hotfixes for every SP.How we can Identify these required or not and how can get this notification from Microsoft

• Akkare (8/12/2011)

Thanks for your update.I did the same way.

Now I have one doubt.

We have Cumulative Updates and Hotfixes for every SP.How we can Identify these required or not and how can get this notification from Microsoft

No hard and Fast rule here, other than security hotfixes nothing else is must, you have to look at the application which connects to db server if they have a priority...for ex: sp3 + CU6 for support needed by ATG application

Usually when you are planning to upgrade sp than look into latest CU pack and by the time you are done evaluation that CU will be tested for good enough time and google to see if anybody has any issues...

Prakash Heda
    Lead DBA Team - www.sqlfeatures.com
    Video sessions on Performance Tuning and SQL 2012 HA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply