SQL Server 2008 monitoring through NetIQ

• I am working in a project in which client has 500 SQL Server instances (2000, 2005, 2008). Here the monitoring is done through NetIQ and alert will be sent to AHD (advance help desk tool) to generate the incident with specific priority level.

We have a setup which is working fine for SQL Server 2000 events (errors) monitoring. In the NetIQ knowledge scripts we have filtered the errors and severity levels using the

error number and severity level in the text which gets recorded in the windows event logs. In SQL Server 2000 error message in event viewer contains the error number and severity level, using the key words

we can include\exclude the errors in knowledge script of net IQ.

Ex: Complete message will be recorded in event viewer description

Error 9002, Severity 17, State 6

The log file for database 'dbname' is full.Back up the transaction log for the database to free up some log space

But from SQL Server 2005 onwards this is not the case. Only the text will be recorded in the event viewer description. Event id will be the sql server error number

Ex: Incase of sql server 2005 & 2008 event description will be -- Event ID: 9002

The log file for database 'dbname' is full.Back up the transaction log for the database to free up some log space

Right now we are monitoring few key words like 'The log for database, insufficient memory etc..', which is incorrect. Because there are 176 different event messages in sql server which are critical errors, which we are missing here.

I want to monitor specific errors or severity level greater than 16. If anybody has already implemented this, let me know.

• Hi Grasshopper,

Saw that your question had not be addressed here so took liberty of posting it to the NetIQ AppManager Forum earlier today.

Alain Salesse responded within a few minutes with this response: You may find my custom KS which provides very flexible Event Log monitoring may help in setting up the required monitoring of the application log: http://community.netiq.com/media/p/11752.aspx

You may need to register, or contact me, to access.

Glad I could help.

David Shephard

NetIQ User Community Manager

• Thank You ... & Wish You Happy New Year !!

I have tried to create an account (Qmunity), still I am unable to access the link you have provided. Can I get the custom knowledge script so that we can test?

Cheers,

Naveen

• Hi Naven,

What was you Qmunity user name? Once I have that I work on connecting you to the file.

Regards

David

• Found you in Qmunity and provided you access.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply