SQl Server 2005/2008

• year back I was seriously studying for sqlserver 2005 432 exam. My company even bouthgt me transcender. But later got too distracted and eventually decided to take ASP.Net certification and cleared it.

Now I am planning to take sqlserver exam. But not sure which one to take..should I concetrate on 2005 or 2008. I could not find and transcender materials for 2008.

I haven't looked into 2008. So want to prepare for 2008 with this I also get to learn enw features. But unable to find good material like transcender. WHich one will help me when I look out for job..2005/2008..??? I also haev ecpereince on ASP.net 3.5, AJAX, Jquery...web technologies.

ANy suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Thanks

• No one wants to sahre their opinion...???;)

• My thought is to go for the SQL 2005 first then you can try the upgrade exam to 2008.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• If you have no experience with SQL 2008, then don't write the 2008 exams. They're not that much more difficult than the 2005 ones, but they do require that you know the 2008 features pretty well

432? Is that the BI exam (MCTS SQL 2008 Business Intelligence)?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I am good in sql server 2005. Conisdering the new version , I thought If I can update my knowledge on sql server 2008 , I stand a better chance in finding job when I look out few months from now....??Do you think employers out their would give prefereance to sql server 2008 few months down the line...???

Thanks in advance...

• I have this problem as well. I was studying for 2-3 months on SQL Server 2005 and then my company moved production environments to SQL Server 2008. Now I hear there is 2010 coming!?!

Actually, what I have come to find out is that 2008 and 2010 are minor releases, which means the major portion of the engine hasn't changed.

My advice is to continue with your studies on 2005 and get your certification there. After all, if your like my and have already spent the time to study in one area you should not waste that time spent.

• Jody Claggett (1/4/2009)

Actually, what I have come to find out is that 2008 and 2010 are minor releases, which means the major portion of the engine hasn't changed.

SQL 2008 is considered a major release, even though there weren't that many apparent changes. There definitely were changes to the DB engine.

That's why it's version 10, while SQL 2005 was version 9.

What's to be released in 2010 is a set of add-ons enhancing the BI area of SQL, along with a few management changes. The DB engine apparently will not be changed at all. It's not going to be a major release.

The code names for the enhancements are Kilimanjaro and Madison.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Regarding the comment in the original post about the availability of the Transcender practice exams, the 70-432 (Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance) test is available here.

I have no affiliation with the company, I'm just a happy customer.

• transcender is good if you don't know anything about the subject or if someone else is paying. otherwise they are way overpriced

• SQL Noob (1/7/2009)

transcender is good if you don't know anything about the subject or if someone else is paying. otherwise they are way overpriced

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. However, rather than highjack this topic, I will start a new one.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply