SQL Server 2005 on VMWARE

• Hello ,

In my environment staging servers are conigured on VMWARE ( on top of ESX Servers ) . Need to know does microsoft support SQL SERVERS runnigs on VMWARE . I have read article in which microsoft supports sql servers runnig on Microsoft Virtual Server , But since VMWARE is nt microsoft product so it to possible get support for them . Please provide me some links on this

Thanks

• Hi Nikhil,

SQL Server 2005 on VMware is supported by microsoft. Our Company has many such SQL Server 2005 instances installed on VMware ESX Server 3.5 host machines.

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy.

• Thanks for replying !!! Can you please send me the link on this please.

• sqlbuddy123 (8/26/2009)

Hi Nikhil,

SQL Server 2005 on VMware is supported by microsoft. Our Company has many such SQL Server 2005 instances installed on VMware ESX Server 3.5 host machines.

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy.

I am really interested in your use of ESX, Do you have production sql instances on VMware ESX or is it purely test and dev sql instances. and what are your experiences of using SQL on vmware.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Hi Silver,

Yes, we do have Production SQL Server 2000 an 2005 instances running on ESX Server host machines. We also have dev and test SQL instances deployed on ESX Server hosts.

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy

• Hi Nikhil,

Check This!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944987

Thank You,

Best Regards.

SQLBuddy

• Has anyone experienced any sudden spikes in Memory use where running analysis server 2005 using Windows 2003 on VMWare gsx server .

This is happening daily and the logs provide little information what may be causing it.

• Check in SQL Server logs and windows application log. I think you should get some info from there.

Is there any particular activity on the SQL Server when you get this kind of errors?

Thanks & Regards,
    Sudeepta.
    http://twitter.com/skganguly

• It would help if the analysis server query log's loged information in English.

Obviously this is clear: 0,0,000,0,0,0,000,0,0,00,0,000,00,0,00,0000,00,000,00,0,0010,0000,0,000000,00000,0,00,000,00000,000,000010,0,000000

Is so clear to everyone. Which idiot in MS decided to log information in binary should be fired as its of no use to anyone.

• obrieste (8/28/2009)

Has anyone experienced any sudden spikes in Memory use where running analysis server 2005 using Windows 2003 on VMWare gsx server .

This is happening daily and the logs provide little information what may be causing it.

Task Manager will tell you if SSAS is using the memory.

Profiler can tell you more details, although you have to be careful running it on a production system.

This whitepaper is good reading.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/5/e/85eea4fa-b3bb-4426-97d0-7f7151b2011c/SSAS2005PerfGuide.doc

Greg E

• It is SSAS that is using the memory and it Jumps from using 1.2GB to 6GB in under 40 seconds. The query logs are near useless and the error logs show nothing or once or twice the showed: "Server: The operation has been cancelled."

Howevery because this is a production system we can't profile the SSAS service.

• Download and read the whitepaper.

You may end up having to run profiler in order to find the problem query.

The whitepaper outlines some of the key things you'd want to include in a profiler trace.

And running this in batch uses less overhead.

If you aren't at SP3, you may want to look into what has been fixed.

Are the queries ad hoc? That can make a difference if a user can create large cross join queries that don't filter on NON EMPTY.

Greg E

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply