SQL Server 2005 32bit versus 64bit

• I'm sorry - but I still don't get it.

On the client, we are running Windows XP SP2 Professional (x86). The client machine knows nothing about x64, doesn't know anything about the database other than the connection information it is going to use to connect from this client to a SQL Server somewhere on the network.

So, here we use the SQL Native Client (x86) version and build an OLEDB connection (or ODBC). We put in our instance name for the SQL Server we want to connect to. We have no idea whether or not that instance is running on Windows 2003 or Windows 2008 - or whether or not that server is running x86 or x64. In fact, we don't care what the OS is at all - because we are not talking to the OS, we are talking to SQL Server over TCP/IP.

Now, how exactly does this client application running on this x86 host require any knowledge of x64? Why will the application fail in this scenario because it connects to a database running on another host, regardless of what OS and architecture that host is?

I do not believe this - especially since none of the applications I have running on my x86 Windows Vista client, my Windows 2003 Server (x86) IIS system, nor my x64 Windows Vista client are having any problems connecting to SQL Server running on an x64 host (btw, the dev system is running on x86 and we still don't have any issues).

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• So, here we use the SQL Native Client (x86) version and build an OLEDB connection (or ODBC). We put in our instance name for the SQL Server we want to connect to. We have no idea whether or not that instance is running on Windows 2003 or Windows 2008 - or whether or not that server is running x86 or x64. In fact, we don't care what the OS is at all - because we are not talking to the OS, we are talking to SQL Server over TCP/IP.

That is because native client is VC++ code which must be either x86 or x64.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms131415.aspx

I do not believe this - especially since none of the applications I have running on my x86 Windows Vista client, my Windows 2003 Server (x86) IIS system, nor my x64 Windows Vista client are having any problems connecting to SQL Server running on an x64 host (btw, the dev system is running on x86 and we still don't have any issues).

Then this article will not be published because all code is running without issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/942976/en-us

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I am pretty sure that the later article and any discussion of x86 versus x64 ODBC/DSN is onlyrelevant if you are trying to setup a DSN ON the server. Then I can see where a distinction might be necessary.

A client, simply establishing a DB connection, should not and I believe does not care one way or another. At least specific to ODBC/OLEDB and SQL Server.

• All I know is there are known issues using application developed in x86 and deploying to x64 RDBMS included, when it runs in x86 and there are issues in x64 then it needs to be resolved. I just offer the simple, the complicated are also there.

Goodluck.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply