SQL Server 2000 Standard Licensing

•  

We are in the middle of a true-up I guess you could call it with Microsoft for our licensing.

I checked my SQL Server 2000 Standard machine and it is setup with a 50 User CAL licensing.

I know someone will tell me to ask my microsoft rep..  but I'm going to ask the question here anyway...

All but one of our APPS that hits this SQL Server are running on a Citrix Presentation Server..  so there is basically one connection for any one app to the SQL Server and everyone runs the App from the citrix server.

With User CAL licensing, do I need to count each User or each APP that hits the SQL Server.   Additionally, if a person runs more than one citrix APP, do they get counted numerous times (once for each APP) or just once.

I have googled this to death and I can't seem to make heads or tails out of it!!!!    Anyone???

• I think your architecture would lean more towards Processor licensing. Much like a web application only the application connects to the sql server, and an unknown amount of users connect to the application.

Like you mention Ask your microsoft rep, 10-1 odds they will have to "Get back with you" on this question.

• Processor license will be too much for us I think.   We only have about 150 employees total and all of our APPS are 'presented' to the users via a Citrix farm.     I just can't figure out if each User needs a license for EACH app that they use on my one SQL Server - I think NOT - but that was my question.

• Yeah, I'm not exactly sure.

Hopefully someone will pick up on this thread and clear it up.

• The official answer is you need a licence for every single discrete device that connects to MSSQL. For example, you may have a single website connecting to a backend MSSQL - you cannot get away with a single CAL, you must have a CAL for each user connecting to the website. And "user" here means a person, another computer, a PDA, a phone, etc, etc.

In the olden days (v7 and earlier) you used to be able to buy a concurrent-connections licence, but when Microsoft "got the Internet" they quickly changed this to CALs or CPU only.

What I don't understand is why you have 50 user CALs? I assume you mean MSSQL CALs, rather than OS CALs? I ask because whenever I've looked at the pricing, a CPU-licence (unlimited users) equates to the price of 20 to 25 CALs. So by my reckoning you have already paid for the equivalent of 2 CPU licences.

Unfortunately, you may not have much luck trying to convert user CALs into a CPU licence. But it is worth trying with your dealer.

• yes. that would be 50 MSSQL User CALS and not processor licenses that we have..

I don't reall make the decisions.. I was just asked to find out how the licensing works with our Citrix environment.    I can't imagine that if I have one user that hits my SQL Server (via Citrix) with 6 different Applications that I need 6 licenses for that one user..    maybe that is true....but I don't know..

I do know that our Great Plains and Sharepoint licensing includes the SQL Server licensing for thoses Apps - one less thing to worry about : )

• hmm, interesting scenario. It is possible to interpret the MSSQL licence both ways - you either need a CAL for each application, or a CAL for each user.

The waters definitely get muddied here. That's why Microsoft changed their licensing agreement and encouraged companies to buy CPU licences.

I would think that you could successfully argue that you need a CAL for each user, irrespective of the number of applications they use. The actual wording of the EULA is not very clear:

"A device in this context can be a workstation, terminal, or any other device running a SQL Server application connected to an instance of SQL Server."

If you take this literally, then you would only need 1 CAL for the Citrix client!

• That was my feeling too.. 1 CAL for each Citrix Client - regardless of how many Citrix Based APPS they use - they all hit the same SQL Server.. 

My boss has posed the question to our Microsoft Rep..  but you know how that goes....

Thanks for your input

• The above is correct. Each user needs one SQL CAL. Be sure to check the costs to make sure Processor license is not cheaper and remember. Also, remember that each processer on the server would need a license. 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply