SQL Server 2000 CASE Statement Error

• Hello,

Basically what I am trying to do is per agency id, give me a grouping of techarea and then tell me how many entries are there.  If the count comes up as 0 then count the number of times the ID# is there for the null techarea and give me that result.  I am using the CASE statement which is equivalent to the Access Iif statement from what I have read.

I have the following written in SQL Query Analyzer:

SELECT App.agency_id,App.techarea AS TA,

CountOfTA = CASE App.techarea

WHEN (COUNT(App.techarea)<1) THEN COUNT(App.agency_id)

WHEN (COUNT(App.techarea)>1) THEN COUNT(App.techarea)

FROM dbo.App

WHERE App.agency_id = 999

GROUP BY App.agency_id

And I am getting the following error message:

Server: Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 2

Line 2: Incorrect syntax near '<'.

As far as I know < is an accepted operator.  Any ideas why I am getting the error message that I am.  I did find out it is a syntax error message but I can't find any error.

Thx for any help you can provide. 

CLM

• Try

CASE COUNT(App.techarea) WHEN < 1 THEN COUNT(App.agency_id) WHEN > 1 THEN COUNT(App.techarea) END AS CountOfTA

OR

you could just add the END reserved word after your 2nd THEN.....

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• I tried what you suggested but for some reason I am still getting an error message of :

Server: Msg 170, Level 15, State 1, Line 2

Line 2: Incorrect syntax near '<'.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Thx,

CLM

• I think you are missing techarea from your GROUP BY as well...

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Thx AJ,

You are correct I was missing the 2nd group by field... however I still get the same error message.

Question... I have SQL Server Developer loaded onto my laptop, is there anything that could be wrong with the software load that might be causing this?  I know with Access if you don't have the correct references selected it can cause erroneous error messages.

Let me know your thoughts.

CLM

• You may be getting a null result.  It would help to if you could provide at least a partial layout of the table App and some data to look at.

• Problem is in the CASE statement. You can't use the column name both in definition of the CASE (CASE App.techarea) and in the WHEN conditions (WHEN COUNT(App.techarea) > 1). This should work:

SELECT App.agency_id,App.techarea AS TA,

CountOfTA = CASE

END

FROM dbo.App

WHERE App.agency_id = 999

GROUP BY App.agency_id, techarea

BTW, are you sure you got the conditions right? What if Count(App.techarea) = 1? This will result in NULL value in CountOfTA, which IMHO isn't what you need.

HTH, Vladan

• Vladan,

You are AWESOME!! It worked.

I thought VBA could be syntax sensitive, now I SQL Server wins that one.

Thanks for the assist. 

CLM

• In looking up CASE functions in SQL Server BOL, it appears that there are two different types of CASE functions: simple and searched.

Simple is to be used when you're comparing an exression to some other expressions:

CASE COUNT(App.techarea)

WHEN 5 THEN COUNT(App.agency_id)

WHEN 10 THEN COUNT(App.techarea)

END

Searched is to be used when evaluating Boolean expressions, which is what your CASE function is (the expression COUNT(App.techarea)<1 is Boolean, either true or false).

CASE COUNT(App.techarea)

END

I think that's the correct interpretation of the content of the BOL for the CASE function. If I got it wrong or described it poorly, please correct me anyone.

Kevin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply