Sql Server 2000 & 2005 running on same machine...

• Is it possible? I have Sql Server 2000 running now & I've been working on learning that. I would like to get 2005 installed (attended a Microsoft Tech seminar and received a copy of VSTS 2005 including SQL Server 2005.)

I want to fire that up to see what it's all about but I don't want to mess up my 2000 edition.

So can these 2 behemouths coincide in good sprits with each other on the same machine & still function correctly?

Thanks!

• I am shortly about to try the same thing...  But from what I have read, there is no problem (same as you can have SS7 and SS2k on the one machine) as each has a separate instance name so their binaries are in separate folders, running separate services, etc...

• I had all three versions running on my dev machine; SQL 7 as the default instance, and then named instances of 2000 and 2005;

i was running a december version of 2005, and never had any problems with any of the instances.

I did have some wierd things go on with my VS 2003 and vs2005;

some previous code written in 2003 did not work the same anymore; i couldn't get some ode to work the way it did previously, and ended up uninstalling 2005, then reinstalling VS2003 and SP4 on SQL2000; at the very end i lost the color coding syntax in QA afet3er all the unistall/reinstall, and had to register one dll manually to restore that.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply