SQL query design & performance

• SETUP: I have one local table (MAIN_TBL) and one linked server AS (rmt). I need dates from the remote table (rmt) to go with the list of order numbers already in MAIN_TBL. I'm concerned about how linking a local table with a remote table will work & perform. Am I going about this correctly? So thats the main goal. One other problem I haven't gotten past...the remote table also contains order versions numbered 0,1,2,3,4,etc. So one order# has say three rows version 0,1,2 each with a different date. I only need the MAX version number data pulled which will be the latest date.

UPDATE MAIN_TBL

SET MAIN_TBL.Date_Rtn = rmt.CUS_DATE

FROM (

SELECT LnkS.ORDER_VER, LnkS.CUS_DATE, LnkS.ORD_NBR

FROM LinkServer..DB.TableName AS LnkS

INNER JOIN MAIN_TBL AS mt ON mt.ordernum = LnkS.ORD_NBR

WHERE LnkS.CUS_DATE IS NOT NULL

) AS rmt

INNER JOIN MAIN_TBL ON MAIN_TBL.ordernum = rmt.ORD_NBR

Any help would be appreciated....

A.S.

MCSE, ASE, DBA

Webmaster

Applications Developer

• Can you give a bit more in the way of example data?  For instance how do you know what the ordernumber is? (which btw I'd sugest not using # in the column name as other applications might have problems with it ont he client side down the road)  Is the Order# listed in another column?  Can you use an Order BY to get the data you need, or is inbedded in the lnks.Order# column and have to substring it out or something?

Thanks.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• The order numbers are listed in the MAIN_TBL. Thats why I INNER JOIN it with the remote table so the subquery only pulls dates for those listed in the MAIN_TBL. At least thats my thinking...

Don't worry about the #....I just used it here for shorthand...lol

Thx for your input...

A.S.

MCSE, ASE, DBA

Webmaster

Applications Developer

• so you don't need to worry about versoin now?  or will the MAX(orderDate)always give you the correct date?  IF so how about this...

UPDATE MAIN_TBL

SET MAIN_TBL.Date_Rtn = MAX(LnkS.CUS_DATE)

FROM LinkServer..DB.TableName LnkS

INNER JOIN MAIN_TBL 

ON MAIN_TBL.ordernum LnkS.ORD_NBR

AND LnkS.CUS_DATE IS NOT NULL  

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• I believe this will do it, but not sure how it will perform:

UPDATE M

SET Date_Rtn = rmt.CUS_DATE

FROM MAIN_TBL As M

INNER JOIN

-- Derived table

(

SELECT ORD_NBR, CUS_DATE

FROM LinkServer..DB.TableName AS L1

INNER JOIN

-- 2nd derived table - get most recent version

(

SELECT ORD_NBR, Max(ORDER_VER) As MaxVersion

FROM LinkServer..DB.TableName

GROUP BY ORD_NBR

) L2

ON (L1.ORD_NBR = L2.ORD_NBR AND

L1.ORDER_VER = L2.MaxVersion)

) rmt

ON (M.OrderNum = rmt.ORD_NBR)

• Thanks PW....with a couple a alias added, it appeared to have worked but it'll take some time to verify it worked correctly...thx for your input...its another option to play with...

A.S.

MCSE, ASE, DBA

Webmaster

Applications Developer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply