SQL Profiler for programmers/developers

• HI. I understand sql profiler is not only a tool for dba's but also programmers/developers to use. My question is, do you install that tool on a programmers desktop and let them have full use of it or can you limit their functionality of it? I envision possible out of control traces going on not realizing impact on the performance of sql. I guess I'm asking if there is any kind of security you can place on the usage of profiler.

Thanks,

Juanita

• well you have to be a member of sysadmin to run profiler. And I would think long and hard before I gave a developer that kind of authority.

So, no. YOu should run profiler. It can only be used with adult supervision.

Patrick

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• Agree. If they need something profiled I do it, or I might temporarily raise their access if they know what they are doing and I'm not available to help. On the development server I let them do pretty much what they want. Another option is to run it on local machine, but then you have the hassle of recreating the environment to get to the point of profiling.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Thank you so much. There is a track at TECH ED about the profiler being a programmers tool so this developer is thinking it is a tool for them to use like query analyzer. But your responses is what I was hoping to see. I myself am still trying to get profiler under my belt

Thanks again!

• In a sense they (TECH ED) are right. Profiler is a developer tool, but it is not something they should run. You need to set up what events you want to capture. Plus Profiler will cause a performance overhead on your system.

We have the luxury of a staging/testing environment and I use Profiler there.

It is a good tool to give you an idea of what queries are running long and afterward you can run the Index wizard to evaluate the indexes on your database based on what the developers are using in their queries.

So, when the developers whine, remind them that it causes overhead on the server. Otherwise you might have 4 hour profiler runs and everyone is wondering why the server is sooo slow.

I usually have 15 minute to 30 minute runs, depending on the urgency and what data we want to capture. We use LoadRunner to simulate the number of users and their interactions.

You should also set up Perfmon on the Server to capture other information (counters, CPU, pages, etc) and run that at the same time.

And never give them sysadmin...

Patrick

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• Thank you Patrick. I am running the heart monitor on production sql server keeping an eye on the important counters.. And yes, I'm not real crazy about giving people SYSADMIN role.

Thanks again!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply