SQL Perf Counters Lost

• We're running Win2K AS SP3 and SQL 2k EE SP3 and in Windows PerfMon the SQL counters are missing? How do I get them back?

• This could be due to a known issue with SP3.

If Perfmon is active on the machine running SQL Server at the time the SQL Service is started, you lose the counters.

If you shutdown Perfmon and stop and restart SQL Server, they should come back.

• When you say shutdown PerfMon do you mean stop the service? I read MS article 812915 and saw the work around. We have restarted the server several times but no luck in getting the counters back.

• I had same issue. I rebooted the machine and all the counters came back up.

• Try running unlodctr and lodctr, then restarting SQL or rebooting server.

unlodctr.exe MSSQLServer <$instance name>

lodctr.exe <sql>\BINN\sqlctr.ini

• I have the same probelm on 3 SQL 2000 servers each running 3 instances of SQL. I have a call with Micrososft for this one. 3 weeks on we still havnt resolved the problem. Last call was to rebuild all servers.....

• I have the same probelm on 3 SQL 2000 servers each running 3 instances of SQL. I have a call with Micrososft for this one. 3 weeks on we still havnt resolved the problem. Last call was to rebuild all servers.....

• I'm also having the same problem with 2 SQL Servers running 3 instances each in a cluster, we don't really want to go about rebooting the servers or stopping and starting the services. Bit of a nuisance in a prod environment.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

• If you have any monitoring software (e.g. BMC Patrol) that hooks into the performance counters, then they have to be shut down as well before restarting SQL Server.

• We had the same problem a couple of times even though it was on SQL 7.0.

Our problems related to the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WinNT\CurrentVersion\Perflib\009, which did not have appropriate permissions to reload the counters using lodctr.exe.

Also check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer has appropriate read access required by the security account.

We had to rebuild these registry keys then re-run lodctr.exe and it worked.

Not sure if this will be of any help.

Paul R Williams.

• please see knowledge base article q248993. problem lies in the registry, there is a tool you can then download to hack the registry and get your coutners back.

• Hi all

Yep, had this problem too, it was a fresh install of sqkserver 2k ee then sp3, i didnt check if it was sp3 though (unfortunatly) and I didnt have the time to go back.

Anyhow, the unload and lodctr.exe OP worked fine, BUT, I did have to reboot the server, a simple instance restart didnt work. Also note that I had to do it twice! (very strange indeed). Subsequent reboots and instance restarts are not a problem.

Also be aware of a SP3 bug. If you have a perf mon trace running, stop then restart the instance with the perfmon trace going, you will get a shared memory counter error in your sql server log. Not all the counters are affected but certainly the transaction/sec etc counters are. Search on support and you will see mention of it.

Cheers

Ck

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• Here's what we did:

After changing the registry per kb article q248993, executing unlodctr and then lodctr when sql server was not running, rebooting the server twice, starting sql server service manually, and then starting performance monitor service, the performance counters are now visible.

We did this on development and will schedule production. Any ideas on what is causing this? We've seen it on both standard and enterprise editions (SP3) and Win2k SP2 & SP)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply