SQL Partition

• vk-kirov (9/16/2011)

Good question, but the answer is totally wrong.

Exactly. I can only imagine the author did test the code before submitting this question, but made a late change to the partition numbers without retesting.

• Good question, thanks. I always like thinking through these scenarios.

http://brittcluff.blogspot.com/

• Nice question, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• SQL Kiwi (9/17/2011)

vk-kirov (9/16/2011)

Good question, but the answer is totally wrong.

Exactly. I can only imagine the author did test the code before submitting this question, but made a late change to the partition numbers without retesting.

Heheh, coming late to the game I know, but I made the wrong guess about which typo was wrong. Wasn't sure if it was a 'gotcha' or not.

I figured the last option was basically "It doesn't matter what's empty, this will fail." Oops. I caught the boundaries issue but wasn't paying enough attention to the filegroups... >.<

For those who'd like a parition test bed to go goof off with (SQL 2k8):

Use [Test] --Use your own DB here.

GO

create partition function pf1 (int)

as

range left for values (10000, 30000, 50000);

create partition scheme ps1

as

partition pf1 to ([PRIMARY],[PRIMARY],[PRIMARY],[PRIMARY]);

CREATE TABLE tester1

(SampleID INT,

SomeValue VARCHAR(20)

)

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX idx_tester1 ON tester1 (SampleID) ON ps1( SampleID)

Create Table tester2

(SampleID INT,

SomeValue VARCHAR(20)

)

CREATE CLUSTERED INDEX idx_tester2 ON tester2 (SampleID) ON ps1( SampleID)

GO

INSERT INTO tester1

VALUES ( 1, 'ValueA'), (11000, 'Value B'), (35000, 'Value C'), (58000, 'Value D')

GO

INSERT INTO tester2

VALUES ( 2, 'Value X'), (13000, 'Value Y'), (36000, 'Value Z')

GO

/*

Took a few tries to remember which view I wanted...

SELECT * FROM sys.partition_functions

SELECT * FROM sys.partition_parameters

SELECT * FROM sys.partition_range_values

SELECT * FROM sys.partition_schemes

SELECT * FROM sys.data_spaces

select * FROM sys.destination_data_spaces

*/

-- Proove that PArtition 4 in second table is empty

SELECT * FROM sys.partitions

WHERE object_id IN ( object_id( 'tester1'), object_id('tester2'))

GO

--Now, here we go.

ALTER TABLE tester1 SWITCH PARTITION 1 TO Tester2 PARTITION 4;

Note that this will give this error:

Msg 4973, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

ALTER TABLE SWITCH statement failed. Range defined by partition 1 in table 'Test.dbo.tester1' is not a subset of range defined by partition 4 in table 'Test.dbo.Tester2'.

So, there's a few items a bit off here, but the general premise is correct, the target of the switch needs to empty. Paul, remember when I mentioned in that other thread that Partitioning seems to be a Level III item? πŸ™‚

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (9/19/2011)

Paul, remember when I mentioned in that other thread that Partitioning seems to be a Level III item? πŸ™‚

Indeed. Perhaps we need more partitioning questions?

• SQL Kiwi (9/19/2011)

Evil Kraig F (9/19/2011)

Paul, remember when I mentioned in that other thread that Partitioning seems to be a Level III item? πŸ™‚

I think we do. But with ultraclear explanations (and correct answers). All this question has taught me is that my understanding of this topic is even smaller than I thought it was.

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (9/19/2011)

SQL Kiwi (9/19/2011)

Evil Kraig F (9/19/2011)

I think we do. But with ultraclear explanations (and correct answers). All this question has taught me is that my understanding of this topic is even smaller than I thought it was.

Tom, it's most likely the original author meant to swap Partition 1 to Partition 1, in particular to test the assumption he did, and somehow or another the question got 'fancified'. Everything works if it's Partition 1 from the first table to Parition 1 in the second, if the second table's partition 1 is empty... Just not to Partition 4, for any number of reasons. πŸ™‚

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• codebyo (9/17/2011)

I'd love to see an article showing a real world application of switching partitions.

I understand it would be great for historical data that can be archived by a date field, or year but I've never made any experiences with it before.

Great question. Thank you.

Best regards,

Partitioning and switching is excellent for archiving and for loading new data into a datawarehouse, and if you are going to use the new COLUMNSTORE index in Denali, it's the only way of adding new data to the table unless you drop the index.

/HΓ₯kan Winther
    MCITP:Database Developer 2008
    MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
    MCSE: Data Platform

• hakan.winther (9/20/2011)

codebyo (9/17/2011)

I'd love to see an article showing a real world application of switching partitions.

Partitioning and switching is excellent for archiving and for loading new data into a datawarehouse, and if you are going to use the new COLUMNSTORE index in Denali, it's the only way of adding new data to the table unless you drop the index.

There are a number of important scenarios covered in the Data Loading Performance Guide (a TechNet article): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd425070.aspx

On the column store thing, you can also add a new table to a local partitioned view - a similar idea to 'true' partitioning admittedly, but with some important differences.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply