SQL Memory issues

• Hi Guys,

Have a question about memory. I currently have a SQL server 2005 32 bit machine and experincing issues with memory. The server is a mirrored server, do no application point to the server and no activity is on the box.

After I set up the mirroring for one database, I get the following error:

"This is insufficient memory to run this query"

The problem is only solved after a reboot.

Would enabling the AWE memory for SQL Server solve this problem? Currently the SQL service is using 1.7GB of memory and there is 4GB of memory on the server.

Can anyone please help!!

• Imke Cronje (2/4/2009)

Would enabling the AWE memory for SQL Server solve this problem? Currently the SQL service is using 1.7GB of memory and there is 4GB of memory on the server.

Can anyone please help!!

With 4 Gb of RAM, enabling AWE won't make any difference at all. Adding the /3GB swith to the boot.ini might help but before you do that I'd like to get some more info.

How is SQL Server configured ? What is the max value for Memeory usage now? Also when I see you saying SQL server is using 1,7 Gb I get the suspission that you get this value from taskmanager. Don't use Taskmanager for checking how much memory is used by SQL, because the value will never be higher than 1,7 Gb. Use Perfmon to get the real value.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• max memory: 2GB

yes, i did use Task Manager, but i also used perfmon. I selected the page life expentency option under SQL Server: Buffer Manager. The result was 100 secs which means that there is pressure on the memory. The result should be 300 secs.

• In that case you can try the /3gb switch and raise the max memory to 3 Gb.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply