SQL Maintenance Plan

• I am looking at;

Check DB Integrity Task,

Rebuild Index Task,

Back Up Database Task,

Maintenance Clean up for backups, and

Maintenance clean up for maintenance plans.

What, if any, other items are suggested to run nightly? or even on a regular basis?

Also, is rebuilding indexes nightly a good thing? I seem to get corrupted indexes a few times a month and wonder if I am doing this too often or if I should be running a different task, i.e. reorganize indexes or update statistics?

Thanks for the help in advance,

Monty

• Hi

You should NOT run optimizations plans to often on your database. They will affect performance, especially if you're rebuilding Indexes. Depending of the kind of database and the type of transactions, I would suggest doing that weekly basis, same for database integrity. Just be sure you're following a good backup strategy; you can run a Full Sundays, daily Differential, and Daily Transaction Log backups every 2 hrs (more frequently if your database is very critical) A good way to organize your Maintenace Plan is create Backups and Optimizations plan per database, do not mix or put everything in just one Maintenance Plan. If you do that and one fails, you can easily troubleshoot the problem and see what's happening. Run Full backups for Master too, do not forget that, but maybe not to frequently to save some disk space; same for model.

Running optimizations plans all days or frequently is a waste of resources!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply