SQL Login Failure

• We go through the same cycle everytime it reboots. The SQL Server fails to login. We go to enterprise manager and configure it to run ad domain admin. We then restart service and it starts OK. Then we set in enterprise manager the login back to our domain account and stop and restart the service - this then starts OK.

Next time we reboot we are back to square one???

We are running Windows 2003 R2 SP2 with SQL 2000 SP4

Has anyone any ideas?

Many thanks

Steve

• Hi Steve,

Start Services.msc,

Make sure that the AD Admin is the Logon As in your MSSQL Service and also the Agent.

Then try, it should work.

Cheers!

Anil

• Hi Anil,

Thanks for the response. We are looking to run under a locked down account and hence are using the domain account that has been created not the admin account. As described in my first post, if we run as AD administrator all is fine, however we do not want to for various reasons. One reason for this is we have configured the sql agent to use a specified email account for this server to assist with errors in our application.

Also, all the advise I have read indicates that you should not use the service admin screens to change this as it does not set all the appropriate permissions - instead you should use the enterprise manager screens to adjust this - this is how we are changing the logins. However we did originally use the service screens and encountered similar issues.

I hope you can help further

• Is that doamin account having privileges mentioned under

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143504.aspx

MJ

• Hi Steve,

Do one thing, try to create a generic Windows User with Power User / Administrator Priviliges. This would mean that you would have to log out of your Domain account and re-create the user for the system.

Make sure that this account is the one accessing your sql server and sql server agent services.

Now try it, it should work fine.

PS: Try this on a separate server, then once verified, implement it on the Prod Server accessing the App.

Cheers!

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Anil Mahadev

• We have made the user local admin - that seemed to be missing - this appears at first glance to have worked (on one of the two servers affected) we shall try the other but we think that is it...

Very odd that it lets you run fine using this type of user, but on restart fails - I am sure this is a very good reason...

Thanks for all your help - will let you knwo if that works - if it does we can do the work around described in the Microsoft article (if we can figure it out) that means we do not need local admin.

Will let you know if it is 100% working!

Steve

• Hi Steve,

Good Luck! 🙂

Regards

Anil

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply